Thread: Tiger Portrait

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tiger Portrait

Attached Images Attached Images

Here is another from Tipeshwar with the tiger walking across in front of us. Shot horizontal but converted to portrait as the hind legs were partly cut off in frame.
    1D X II
    700mm
    1/1250
    f/8
    ISO 1600

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, I like the framing and the intense stare into camera, but again, a tad tight at the foot, lowering the framing 'in camera' would have been better. Moving from landscape to portrait doesn't harm too much posting at this size, however, it's best avoided at ALL times simply because you are just throwing away good data and so the IQ are larger sizes suffer. In addition, basted on the posting and shooting at f/8, I think the camera is perhaps back focusing, FP should be between the eyes, but the detail sharpness is behind, if I'm correct then I would suggest you get this resolved soon as you can.

TFS
    Steve

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sanjeev, I have sent you & Haseeb some links to look at, hope it helps.

Steve

5. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Sanjeev,

Another beautiful tiger, thank you for sharing Love the alert pose and colours look natural to me. Whites look a tad hot on the RHS of its face but I think you can recover that in PP.

Crop works for me. Just did some work on a lion image and had the same problem, hind legs partly missing from the frame - so I understand the issue and frustration. I agree with Steve it is a bit tight at the bottom, but at least you managed to fit both front legs in the frame, which is not possible with my lion image

Techs look great, Sanjeev. It does seem the ears are a tad sharper than the rest of the subject's face - but maybe FP was slightly off because the tiger was moving, can you check?

He is so beautiful. I often wish I could see a tiger in its environment. I'll swop you a lion for a tiger, leopards are scarce at the moment

Have a wonderful evening!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

7. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela and Steve, appreciate your feedback. Will look at the FP and also Steve thank you for mailing. I surely will check that out. I use back button focus with AI servo. I need to check the AF settings in camera in 1D XII as I am new to it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Doc -- I quite like the framing but it would have been better had you shot that vertically in the field it self as there is some loss in IQ IMO. Agree on the tight framing and hot whites on its face. Steve will definitely help you out with the focus issue but in the meanwhile i am sending you some screen shots of my camera settings as adviced by Steve previously to me. check your Whatsapp for the same.

TFS !

10. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the almost startled look, are the whites on the RHS of the face fully blown? If not certainly worth having another process. I might be tempted to make the sharpening a little finer.

12. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post