Thread: Lesser Redpoll (Acanthis cabaret)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lesser Redpoll (Acanthis cabaret)

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken fron garden hide. Something of a garden rarity, a male and female dropped in for a few minutes and I haven't seen them since.
    Canon 5D IV Canon 500mm f4 l IS II + 1.4TC III

ACR + PSCC 2019
    Auto ISO (-0.3) 1/2000 sec f8
    Had to do some work on the lichen & bird highlights - they weren't blown but light was harsh, I thought worth a post being rare an' all!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jon, a nice encounter for sure, fingers crossed they return.

I think you can still tame the light on the subject, but where needed, then 'sculpt' back the light which may help on bringing back the more finer detail that is there within the original capture. At ISO2000, then minimal if any use of NR is required, but it's looking perhaps a faction 'gritty' in the bottom LHC, but that may have been emphasised through the addition of Contrast and or Black in any 'global' adjustment? Yes, the lichen is an issue, but I feel there is a workaround with that. I like the perch, the stem is 'in pro' with the subject IMHO, but perhaps cropping the nobbly end might be better in the RHC? Perhaps in this instance, a slight vignette may help in conveying the scene and light?

Jon, I'm not sure if tweaking the Tint ie to the left helps the whole backdrop & perch?????

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice frame with a nice crop. Like the pose and the perch. Details look nice. Light doesn't look to harsh to me.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not sure what I like better, the bird or the perch... Love the composition... TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon:

Nicely captured, and yes the light was a bit harsh, but overall I think you handled it well. Well scaled perch, with lichens adding detail, even the tiny spider web strand above adds detail and interest.

Steve - I find your version just a bit muted, which is a comment I don't think I have ever made about one of your images! I do think your treatment of the lichens was excellent, brings out more detail .

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve - I find your version just a bit muted, which is a comment I don't think I have ever made about one of your images! I do think your treatment of the lichens was excellent, brings out more detail .
    LOL Randy absolutely no worries, I'm currently away so using the MacBook Pro which is NOT ideal. I just tried to do something in light of a conversation with Jon. I little muted probably, but as I mentioned to Jon, he could then 'sculpt' some light back in where it's needed.

Hope all is well with you, great to see you posting again, WELL missed!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Jon, wonderful when a bird shows up and you are quick to capture! I like Steve's repost as he tamed the branch but would like more pop to the bird as in OP as Randy suggested. Hope they return as well!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the BG light in the repost but prefer the the light and sharpness of the bird in the original.
    Dan Kearl