Thread: Tiger-Sub Adult

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tiger-Sub Adult

Attached Images Attached Images

A young tiger strikes a pose out of curiosity at Tipeshwar tiger reserve forest in central India. It was my first trip to this little known forest and was rewarded with 5 tiger sightings in 2 days. This is my fave with the tiger cautiously approaching me and standing for a minute before retreating back to join its siblings. I got a 1D X II for a good deal and grabbed it. It was HOT (40 Degree plus)!
    1DX II
    700mm
    1/2000
    f/7.1
    ISO 1600
    Last edited by Sanjeev Aurangabadkar; 04-11-2019 at 10:17 AM.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Sanjeev,

Great to see another tiger image from you, and I must say this subadult looks as big as an adult male lion to me Really nice POV and framing works. Well exposed. Love the hesitant pose from the tiger and eye contact. As well as pink nose

Looking at the BG - and given the temperature you mentioned in your intro - I take it you had to deal with some heat haze. It shows, quite tough conditions but you did well. Unfortunately I cannot comment on colour, hope others who had the opportunity to photograph tigers will

Thank you so much for sharing, and I hope we get to see images from all your sightings at Tipeshwar.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, great to see a Tiger, they are just so awesome, but you have to be there to really appreciate their majesty! I'm glad the new location provide fruitful, but Tigers are very elusive at the best of times so to see five is super.

I too can't comment on colour as I'm away, but I think the framing works although I would like a bit more at the foot. Nice to have him out in the open and I like the 3/4 pose, alert look and ears pricked up. Techs look good, but I may have gone here to f/8. The tree through the head is a bit unfortunate, a few more step forward, or a move left may have helped? Was the adolescent in water before coming towards you as the fur looks wet? The head in parts looks a bit 'course' did you lighten it as the fur appears a fraction noisy, but saying all that I can understand why this is you fav.

The 1DX MKII will be a great asset to your arsenal, coupled with the 5DIV, the only issue is the dynamic range, they're not the same and have caught me out once or twice. Like the 1DX you can push the 5DIV, both Jon & I have gone to 10k+ with excellent results so having the two, you can push yourself with confidence. My personal pref is 1DX for 'Action', the 5DIV for portraits, set-ups are very similar so enjoy.

Hope to see more.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela and Steve. Yes the Tiger was wet from a dip in a water hole nearby. The 4 Tigers took a dip in it and took turns coming out. Unfortunately the water hole was below eye level so could not get any shots in the puddle. The RAW is tack Sharp so used just 1 round of sharpening after resizing at 30 % and 0.3 radius. Maybe should have used 1 more round on head?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Doc -- Congratulations on the sighting , they don't come so easy these days.

I liked the look on this young tiger and the framing works well. I too would have liked a bit more space at the foot though. As tippeshwar being a very dry landscape tiger sightings are mostly during hot time of the day and heat haze plays a bit spoil sport but still you have done quite well here. The tree is a bit unfortunate but I guess there is nothing much you could have done considering other vehicles might also been there. Colours have come out very nicely, very realistic i should say, so well done on that. The details are a bit coarse for my taste , may due to the wet fur ?

Really enjoyed viewing this image , keep them coming .

TFS !

6. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks a lot Haseeb. This was full frame so not time remove the 1.4TC. hence the lack of room below. As I said the fur was wet. Appreciate your comments. And yes no place to move around as other 3 vehicles were ojecting. My driver placed me perfectly though apart from the tree trunk I had clear sight with no other vehicles in the way. The heat was crazy though. But didn't mind at all.
    Last edited by Sanjeev Aurangabadkar; 04-12-2019 at 01:57 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sharp so used just 1 round of sharpening after resizing at 30 % and 0.3 radius. Maybe should have used 1 more round on head?
    Hi Sanjeev, well you are doing it the right way taking onboard how you sharpen, as there are so many ways to do this, I just wonder if the amount might be too much creating that crunchy look, albeit the radius is right, sometimes less, but a few times might be better at times. Can you drop me a line when you have a moment with the steps and the amounts used, I might get you to try something. Remember, at this stage for ANY output it's 'perceptual'.

And yes no place to move around as other 3 vehicles were ojecting. My driver placed me perfectly though apart from the tree trunk I had clear sight with no other vehicles in the way. The heat was crazy though.
    Three vehicles Sanjeev luxury , as you and Haseeb know what Ranthambore can be like, but top marks on your driver. April can be hot can't it, 44 degrees plus (?), but it's not helpful when shooting with long lenses.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

In these parks positioning of vehicle is very important since off roading is not possible.

Heat is crazy though and it will get worse in days to come.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

In these parks positioning of vehicle is very important since off roading is not possible.
    Absolutely Haseeb and if found off road the penalties are harsh!

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the shot very much Sanjeev, I like the angle and the colours look great. The cub looks very well fed and I too get the impression it is one big cat! For me the a[aperture looks good, it has provided good separation from the back ground.

12. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sure Steve, I shall drop you a line. Steve, at this reserve only 6 vehicles are allowed from each of the two gates so max is 12 at any given time. We were lucky to be the few there. Others came in later but the tigers had gone back in the bushes.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjeev Aurangabadkar View Post
    At this reserve only 6 vehicles are allowed from each of the two gates so max is 12 at any given time. We were lucky to be the few there.
    Sounds like my kinda reserve, and what has stopped me previously from visiting India (for Tigers) since my last trip over 25 yrs ago.

Nothing more to say other than "green with envy" over these sightings Sanjeev, well done!

TFS

15. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post