Thread: Silent approach

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Silent approach

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all ...just managed to process another image for you guys .

I thought i change the location from the cold ...to the heat of Botswana .
    Image taken in the heat of Nxai Pan in Botswana , sept 2018. Spend long hours of waiting , at the single waterhole that was left ( intact) in the whole area . Anette and i talked a lot of nonsense while waiting ... and our artsy heart created a lot of rubbish in terms of images . But we managed to shoot some serious images ....LOL.
    This is one of them ... the three bulls silently approached the waterhole , and enjoyed the water after a long walk from their feeding spot .
    Hope you like it .

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 500 IS L + 1,4 TC
    HH

F 8 ; Iso 1600 ; 1/2500 sec ; man exp and Auto Iso +0,7 EV

Processed with C1 and PSCC 2019 ; slight crop . I left the sky pale in terms of color ...natural at time of shooting . I do wish there was a better separation between the subjects , but they did not listen even if being walking quietly

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous posting .

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, with subjects so strong and dominating who is bothered about the pale sky Love the head on walking pose and the three together. Good exposure considering the light.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Elephants are always far more dynamic when they're walking towards you, and this trio with commitment in their stride ticks the boxes Andreas, the side lighting and associated dust works for me as well.

Agree that more separation would have been ideal, but seldom do they read the script!

TFS

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, have you considered going B/W, might help that bolder on the LHS, just catches the eye. F/8, think I might have gone for f/11, techs would have allowed it, I do however like the low POV.

TFS
    Steve

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is such a wonderful scene, Andreas. POV is superb. Ellies are massive creatures but the perspective here makes them look like giants. A powerful image - I can just see the subjects walk, shaking their heads, trunks swinging...a rush...thirst...the water is near.

Techs look great and you exposed very well. I like the processing too. Good thinking on the sky, it might have looked odd if it were too blue, I think it's great as is and reflects the conditions at the time. Was it late morning or midday, Boetie?

And I agree with Steve, worth trying a B/W conversion here.
    Err...just a thought, maybe you should have cleaned the FG before the ellies arrived, instead talking all that nonsense with Anette Just kidding, I like it as is, dung and all. Lovely work Andreas
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nicely done Andreas , I really liked the low POV and the head position of all the elephants. Very nice details and colours as well. The boulders in the FG are slight distracting but with such angles they do tend to come in between but I am still fine with them. Agree on your self critique reg separation . nicely done .

TFS !

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas I think it's well processed and composed, spacing may not be perfect but it is still a very eye catching image - hey wish it was mine!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am returning noe from Nxai Pan and Central Kalahari ; this is the situation of elephant coming to the hole. Perfect shoot and composition. You give the right idea about the location and the dry time

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Giovanni hope you enjoyed your time there ...
    Cheers Andreas