Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default different direction!

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1dx mark II
    Canon 70/200 f.2,8 is II extender 1,4 III
    1/3200 f.14 iso 3200

Off course all is no possible in focus..but ..what you say about ?
    The light is no good off course (1 p-m.) !!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Gio,

Wonderful sighting and I wonder whether it happened somewhere along the road from Two Rivers to Mata Mata? I see some grass coming up in the middle of the river bed and very pleased about that. I gather your cheetah had its eyes on a springbok that ran in the other direction, but it's great that you managed to get both species in one frame.

Techs look good to me but again there is a sharpness issue. I am interested to know where your focus point was, because the cheetah looks sharper than the springboks. The light was very harsh, I agree. Some heat haze and dust to deal with, not easy.

Still a very special sighting and something I am sure you'll never forget, thank you for sharing it with us.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Hello Gio,

Wonderful sighting and I wonder whether it happened somewhere along the road from Two Rivers to Mata Mata? I see some grass coming up in the middle of the river bed and very pleased about that. I gather your cheetah had its eyes on a springbok that ran in the other direction, but it's great that you managed to get both species in one frame.

Techs look good to me but again there is a sharpness issue. I am interested to know where your focus point was, because the cheetah looks sharper than the springboks. The light was very harsh, I agree. Some heat haze and dust to deal with, not easy.

Still a very special sighting and something I am sure you'll never forget, thank you for sharing it with us.

Kind regards,

Yes between twwe Rivierenr to Mata
    The focus was more near to cheetah so it is right more sharper...but no other option could be made if I would like both subjects. I tried using more focus deep but ...the distance between the two was very long!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Off course I could change the focused subject (springboks instead cheather)..but I was no sure of the direction of the cat ...and I decided to have he in focus if something happened and he went in front me.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gio, thought I recognised that piece of riverbed and the dune with the rocks above. Been going there since 2008

I do understand what you were going for, following the cheetah would have ensured you did not miss the kill. But these things are so difficult to predict, right?

And I agree, no DoF would have been enough. You certainly did your best under the circumstances
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You would miss alot of shot if you only focused on morning and evening light. The chase is nice. Like the prey in the foreground and the cheetah in the background.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The PP certainly looks improved here. A very nice moment to capture. You should have gone for the springbok with the focusing the Cheetah is quite far in the frame and it would have appeared same considering the dof you have chosen but the springboks would have come out sharper.

Looks like you have some really great frames with you. Keep them sharing . TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gio you captured a nice situation in this frame , great action !!
    Technically not possible to get all in focus , you have to make a decision .
    Even for 1pm .... the image is too much hammered with contrast , i would try to work with softer hand in post !!! Think you already have been told in the past .... try it !!!

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

now it is better ?
    Thanks