Thread: lions

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default lions

Attached Images Attached Images

Lions in a tree in Uganda. Not a distant background, but also no harsh sky looking down the valley, the soft colors work for me.
    560mm, 1/1000, f5.6, ISO1600.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

For me those soft colors are very ok. The backgrund help to give a relaxing idea

3. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful sighting Greg, love the lions and the environment is superb. As well as the misty look and relaxed atmosphere.

Compositionally this works very well. I do understand you are happy with the colours... But just thinking, if this were mine I would play with the greens a bit and bring out the various nuances and shades for a more 3D feel. This would make a lovely poster or a large print.

A very pleasing scene with lots to look at and I really enjoyed viewing. Uganda must be a magic place, I have never been there. Kindly share images of other species, if you have

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

5. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice to see the lions in the tree. The overall environment is very nice. Looks foggy.

7. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Greg -- A very nice scene , indeed a special sight to get the lions on tree and both of them looking at you. I can understand that you have tried to retain the misty feel here but to me the scene appears a bit flat. You could go for slight curves adjustment to get a bit more depth and tones in overall scene.

TFS !

9. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all for the comments. The scene was soft, I wouldn't say foggy, but it was a bit hazy. The sighting was also quite distant, so there is probably some heat haze going on limiting sharpness.

Gabriela: Uganda is just up the road for you! And this has been on my wall as a canvas print above the TV for a couple of years, bigger than the TV.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Greg you have captured a lovely scene with those two lions in the tree !!!
    I think you kept the haziness quite well if this was your target , so i am fine with this .
    The flatness is fitting well to the scene , just a matter of taste from the POV of the viewer .

Just think the colors are not " correct" , from my POV there is too much magenta/blue in the frame , specially in the lions and trees . Just my thoughts ..

TFS Andreas

12. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Having just returned from Uganda Greg this cracker of an image really tweaked my interest, perfectly happy with the softer/flatter tones/colors, but what makes this a standout is
    the fact that a large male has joined the female high up, this happens so rarely, and have seen a large male high up a tree only 3 times in all my 38 yrs & 42 trips to Africa, such a treat!

TFS

14. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greg cowle View Post
    Thanks all for the comments. The scene was soft, I wouldn't say foggy, but it was a bit hazy. The sighting was also quite distant, so there is probably some heat haze going on limiting sharpness.

Gabriela: Uganda is just up the road for you! And this has been on my wall as a canvas print above the TV for a couple of years, bigger than the TV.
    Thank you so much Greg! Uganda is fairly close, but not close enough. I prefer to drive in my own vehicle and camp. Unfortunately right now I can only take a maximum of three weeks off, this is because of work commitments. Getting to Uganda and back would just take too long Maybe in a couple of years' time:)
    Gabriela Plesea

16. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Marc, I knew it was a special sighting, but didn't know it is so uncommon. I got closer to a group of females and young in a tree the next day (unfortunately, I think the group which was poisoned a year or so ago), but even though closer, much less interesting a shot.

Gabriela: kidding about the drive, I know it is a long way. Still a great place to go one day, gorillas, chimps as well as the cats etc.