iso 1250
    f.5,6
    1/3200
    Canon 1dx mark II Canon 500 f.4 is II

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Gio,

Whew, I am jealous of this sighting! Cat on the prowl Was this close to Nossob? What beautiful lean body, love the outstretched pose and focus in its eyes. Would be great if you could post this bigger, see following link: http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...-Size-Increase

Composition is good. I gather there was quite a bit of vegetation that got in the way so you might have cropped quite a lot? Techs also look good so I am a little surprised about the image quality Gio, it looks crunchy and the sand beneath the subject's feet is beginning to look like snow.

I would back off on contrast here, lift the blacks, tame the highlights. You could soften the background too, there's lots you can do to improve this. In terms of colour the coat should be a tad more orange, I think.

Please send me the Raw so I could have a look, via Wetransfer. You have my email address. I have a hectic week coming up but I will play around one evening and get back to you.

Thank you Gio for sharing, much appreciated,

Have a nice Sunday!

Kind regards
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela
    I think it was a very excellent lucky option..so I could be very happy if you could help me to make it better
    At the moment I am without my pc so idf you could send me your mail I will send you raw file off course!
    Was about 40 km from Twee...I saw him killing bfore a mouse and eating ..8I made some shoots with 70/200 ..but no saw him in front) ..after started to hunt a bit longer ...but it is a no big crop...
    Wait your to send file
    Thanks again
    Gio

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

bigger

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bigger is better, but I will download your files and take a look at the RAW. Shall email you Gio
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for email, Gio. I sent back the two images processed.

I think the RAW of this one is not bad at all, it is the operator behind the computer who needs to go easy with PP work Steve told the same thing many times over, so not to worry, just start from the beginning with an easy hand! All in preparation for the upcoming Africa trip!
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I no worry off course.
    I posted my shoots to know the opinion of all photographers and I am happy if someone (as you) hepls me !
    Thanks again

Gio
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Thank you for email, Gio. I sent back the two images processed.

I think the RAW of this one is not bad at all, it is the operator behind the computer who needs to go easy with PP work Steve told the same thing many times over, so not to worry, just start from the beginning with an easy hand! All in preparation for the upcoming Africa trip!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gio -- What a lovely capture of this beautiful subject. Loved the pose as well. I think Gabriela has made some nice suggestions. Pls do repost the version if You or Gabriela had reprocessed it .

TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gio, the encounter must have been awesome as this is such a rarity to witness.

The POV is good, likewise the framing, but sadly the Raw is not sharp. My guess is heat haze, but also coupled with your Case settings where you have both Brake & Accelerator applied and perhaps also the camera is not quite calibrated, but that might be less of an issue. Cases are something you learn what works, but only a few do, but keep Auto Switching to zero. However, my money is on Heat haze. The Focus point of the camera is on the body, you needed to swop it to the head as this is the key element to any shot, head or eye depending on the situation. DoF is fine, good SS for the moving subject, ISO low enough to reduce any noise.

Based on the raw here is a RP.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Steve for RP, much appreciated. I agree with you on the above but I still think there are a couple of things Gio might learn from, like a softer approach to PP work.

I am sharing my RP for interest' sake as I think it would please Gio and Haseeb.

Gio I am sorry I could not send you the Tiff tonight, it is very large and my Internet is slow. Here is the jpg. for both images you have sent me, I personally feel the other one was better than the one you shared because of the cleaner BG.

Kind regards,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 03-31-2019 at 02:16 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with you on the above but I still think there are a couple of things Gio might learn from, like a softer approach to PP work.
    Hi Gabriela, I agree, but it does then mean, opening up the breakdown of each step of the Workflow process which is too time consuming to highlight why a certain approach is done, but each image has to be taken on it's own merits, sadly there are no silver bullets. I know the pitfalls of LR and so I say things to folk to be aware because of how LR has developed over the years, but agree, if you have 12 sliders, only three may need to be used, but it's knowing which ones and why, takes time and this whole process is constantly being reviewed. In addition, the choice of Raw convertor (personal choice) set up of PS has to be checked, monitor calibrated etc etc so you are both on a level playing field, it's not easy.

Gio, I use Dropbox, so if you want a copy of the RGB Tiff then I will send it via that, but you need to install it. Both Raw & the Tiff will be deleted within 48hours as I never keep Raws. Hope that is OK.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I use Dropbox..it is fine, thanks
    Gio

Threads
    Thank You Posts

[QUOTE=Steve Kaluski;1209685]Hi Gabriela, I agree, but it does then mean, opening up the breakdown of each step of the Workflow process which is too time consuming to highlight why a certain approach is done, but each image has to be taken on it's own merits, sadly there are no silver bullets. I know the pitfalls of LR and so I say things to folk to be aware because of how LR has developed over the years, but agree, if you have 12 sliders, only three may need to be used, but it's knowing which ones and why, takes time and this whole process is constantly being reviewed. In addition, the choice of Raw convertor (personal choice) set up of PS has to be checked, monitor calibrated etc etc so you are both on a level playing field, it's not easy.

You are absolutely right...BTW I tried to give Gio a breakdown of those rather simple steps I made with my PP, it took me ten times longer than the work itself
    Gabriela Plesea