Thread: The old warrior

IOTY Winner 2008 Chris van Rooyen's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The old warrior

Attached Images Attached Images

I photographed this old lion earlier this year in the Sabi Sands Game Reserve. He was clearly way past his prime, yet he still had some serious attitude. No crop, removed a few distracting grass stems. Processed in LR and PS CC, background noise removed with Neat Image. Thanks for looking and/or commenting!

Camera Model: NIKON D3S
    Date/Time: 2019:02:12 06:26:23

Shutter speed: 1/1000 sec
    Aperture: 4
    Exposure mode: Manual
    Exposure compensation: -1/3
    Metering mode: Multi-segment
    ISO: 1100
    Lens: 300.0 mm f/2.8

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Chris, nice looking Lion in a very 'regal' pose.

For me, I find the image as presented, too 'contrasty' but that's partly down to LR and what it does behind the scenes, plus the blacks are choked, especially in the nostril. Backing off address this and brings out the real clarity and sharpness of the image/capture. I also feel the WB is a tad off with a cast of magenta coming through, again an easy fix. Once these two elements have been addressed then you can take the image cooler or warmer, whatever you feel best represents the capture. I also feel going a tad tighter helps, but that again is a more personal observation. like the intent stare and the uncluttered BKG.

The RP is purely to illustrate the comments made in the above.

TFS
    Steve

3. Thanks Chris van Rooyen thanked for this post
    IOTY Winner 2008 Chris van Rooyen's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve, you did a good job on the RP. In agree on all the points you addressed

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful, majestic lion with lots of character, love the pose. Framing works. I really like that beautiful mane. Image quality is good and I like the head angle, as well as POV. Wonderful opportunity well taken, Chris.

Lovely subtle touches from Steve in his RP, the subject is now more prominent and stands out well against the background. Colours look great and lifting the blacks brought some lovely detail, love it.

I truly enjoyed viewing, Chris. Just spent two weeks in the Kalahari recently and saw only youngsters, not one big male lion... This is a beauty, very special image

Thank you so much for sharing,

Kind regards
    Gabriela Plesea

6. Thanks Chris van Rooyen thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the tight frame, the slightly high contrast made the lion look slightly crunchy the lower contrast reduced that effect. I am not surprised you posted this old image, I bet you can clearly remember the occasion, he really is a beautiful animal. The lion will always be my favourite!