Thread: Lookout...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lookout...

Attached Images Attached Images

This young Leopard was on the lookout, spotting some Impala in the distance, so I was hoping we may get a nice dismount, but sadly not, hence the SS.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Leopard (Panthera pardus) in tree, looking out
    Camera: Canon 1DX
    Lens: 70-200f/2.8 MKII HH
    Exposure: 1/3200s at f/2.8 ISO800
    Original format: Portrait, very slight crop from the top
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Steve,

Truly a special sighting and I take it you were fairly close. I like the way the leopard is "nested" between those thick branches and the POV works well here. Nice composition. Well exposed too, and good thinking on SS ( seems he was about to take off in pursuit of prey, I wonder what made him change his mind...were the bokkies too far?)

Colours look natural and detail is great, as expected I am a bit jealous, only saw one leopard in the KTP this time... A youngster eating a springbok kill under a tree but the road was crammed with vehicles and I wasn't going to fight for a spot. I did find a few ( much smaller ) felines, which I am going to show you at some stage

Hope you have a wonderful week-end, and many thanks for sharing - always a pleasure to view your images.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really like that alert pose. The position in the tree is nice as well. Everything looks pretty in focus for this being shot wide open.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really like the pose, expression and 'perch' (if i may ). However its handling this seriously tricky exposure so expertly that i feel portrays the capabilities of the photographer !!

IOTY Winner 2008 Chris van Rooyen's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the intense concentration of the leopard, give the image a nice "presence". You handled the exposure challenges well!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- This is a beautiful frame. I like Leopards on those kind if trees. You have handled the lighting very nicely , sometime the sky in such situations becomes distracting and also affects the exposure but i don't see any issues with this image. Nice colours and details as well. very nicely done.

TFS !

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The greatest issue you had to resolve was i think the exposure, I am sure there were really bright and comparatively dark elements to contend with, and you did - very well indeed. The leopard pops beautifully against the tree and the colours and details look absolutely beautiful.