Thread: Dark Eye Junco

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Dark Eye Junco

Attached Images Attached Images

Feeder set up. This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 3/23/19 at 4:11PM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Medium crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    600mm
    ISO 800
    f8.0
    1/1000sec

Threads
    Thank You Posts

John, Sweet shot, nice perch, HA, BG and details. Looks a hair on the warm side to me though.

-Tim

3. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks good to me. I might see what a vertical looks like with the bird in a corner. Nice detail and complimentary colors throughout. Thank you for sharing, John.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

5. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are killing it with these setups. Love this composition and Joseph's alternate suggestion also sounds intriguing. TFS

7. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice bird. Nice perch. Nice background. What more is there to say. I think the fine feather detail is great. Intrigued by the colour of the background, what is it? TFS

9. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice, clean, simple image design. Photographing with lower light, or with fill-flash in this instance, would have eliminated the shadowed area on the belly. You could judiciously lift them via dodging (while being careful of introduced noise). Nice and sharp subject!

11. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is really nice. Light and details are excellent. Shadow on breast in minor but could be combatted with better sun angle at different time of day or lowering the perch a touch for future frames. Love the lichens!

13. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John the details look nice and the background is very nice. I would like to encourage you to get more creative with the perches that you choose for these set ups. A stick with lichen is nice but you could find much more interesting perches. For songbird shots the more interesting the perch the better the shot it. Remember you have control of the situation as the birds are coming to your feeder. They will land on whatever you want them to. I have posted a couple of shots before from a feeder set up but have hundreds on all different types of perches from flowers, to pine cones, to grasses, to spruce branches and so on. Try a nice holly tree or some crab apple or the edge of a juniper branch with those little berries. For me a songbird shot is made or broken by the perch. While this is nice it is basic, the shot would be much better in my opinion with a better perch. The whites of the belly are much too gray and I agree there is a reddish cast to the shot.

15. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post