Thread: Paradise Shelduck (NZ endemic)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Paradise Shelduck (NZ endemic)

Attached Images Attached Images

I present this mostly because a visit to NZ is required to observe this species, and I doubtful most will ever have that chance.

I cannot tell you how challenging field photography is in new countries. I had to learn the site, learn the light, gain the trust
    of the birds, and execute in the very limited time I had in each place. It's really, really tough to beat familiarity for productivity!

Long, low birds like this present crop challenges......

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II + 1.4x III on EOS 1DX Mark II
    1/2500 ay f/5.6, ISO 320
    Processed in LR CC. Removed a few bright reflection lines in foreground of bill.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful bird and colors here Dorian. Sweet light. Man there just is not substitute for this kind of gorgeous light. Makes so much difference if not all the difference. I agree it is really hard to go anywhere and produce quality pictures for exactly the reasons you have mentioned. Not surprisingly I think you have too much room below and not enough above. Personal preference of course. This is the type of shot that I would to a 16:9 crop on or even elongate the width a bit as well to follow the lines of the bent over bird. So I would lose half the space below, add maybe a quarter more space above and then maybe add another half the space that already exists to the right of the bird. Hopefully some day I will get to see this bird, until then I will just stare a bit more at this beautiful photo of it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the look at the actual bird, great looking feathers, wonderful low POV, interesting pose with the water droplets, but like Isaac, I just think there is too much negative space below. Everything else is bang on

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    Beautiful bird and colors here Dorian. Sweet light. Man there just is not substitute for this kind of gorgeous light. Makes so much difference if not all the difference. I agree it is really hard to go anywhere and produce quality pictures for exactly the reasons you have mentioned. Not surprisingly I think you have too much room below and not enough above. Personal preference of course. This is the type of shot that I would to a 16:9 crop on or even elongate the width a bit as well to follow the lines of the bent over bird. So I would lose half the space below, add maybe a quarter more space above and then maybe add another half the space that already exists to the right of the bird. Hopefully some day I will get to see this bird, until then I will just stare a bit more at this beautiful photo of it.
    Just cuz you're so sexy and asked so nicely.....

I'm funny in that I like to stick to standard crops. I just don't like individually tailoring them since it feels like cheating to me. Can't really explain it. It's weird, I know.......
    Name:  paradise shelduck 030219-2.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  421.2 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I also very rarely adjust from the drop down menu crops. No idea why. But 16:9 works very well for these type of shots I think. I like this version much better. As stated I would have put even less room below and more above but this fits the bent over and elongated bird much better. Such a sweet shot.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat looking duck in some sweet light with a nice low angle. Like the crop on the repost. Also what is an endemic? I watched a documentary about birding in colombia and the guide said birders want to see the endemics not the common birds like egrets and skimmers. Does that mean only native birds or rare birds?

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

I really like the drool and the slight head turn. Oh so very nice indeed Dorian, but i'm hoping you'll repost again with the crop suggested. Awesome IQ

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just wanted to add Dorian that it is all arbitrary anyway with regards to crops. Our eyes do not see things in rectangles, squares or anything else so why should we be limited by the standard options. It is art after all and do whatever you prefer. That is what I do. Typically I stick with the basic crops but no reason to be limited by them. If you prefer those than that is neither right nor wrong, just what works for you.

John an endemic is a bird that is only found in one country or region. So a bird endemic to Colombia or New Zealand is only found in that country. Some birds are endemic to say the Caribbean but are on a few islands, or endemic to habitat shared by 2 countries like northeastern Peru and southeastern Ecuador. Only place in the world to see them so are sought after birds.

9. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dorian, sweet shot of this duck, love the colors, sharpness, etc. I feel both crops work well depends on what you're looking for.
    The first gives it a more painterly feel IMO, the 2nd more emphasis on the subject.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, endemic means of a certain area/region/country. Colombia, for example, has 79 endemic species, and those are prized by foreign birders as they are the most uniquely Colombian species of the country's 1,900 bird species.

If you're interested in Colombia, check my blog. I present tons of info on the country, A sample can be found here. There is a whole section about endemics.
    http://thespeckledhatchback.blogspot...dinamarca.html

12. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Dorian, you've been laying on the ground again. Lovely image beautiful colors, a beautiful bird nicely shown. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, a bit high in the frame for my tastes as well, but all else looks top-notch to me. Great light indeed.