Thread: Ring-billed Gull... breeding plumage and color

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ring-billed Gull... breeding plumage and color

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image early yesterday morning at Lake Morton in Lakeland, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED image captured at 400mm
    1/1600 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV +1 ISO 800 Auto 1 WB, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC, Photoshop CC 2019 and Neat Image for noise reduction
    Cropped from horizontal to vertical for composition and presentation
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 03-22-2019 at 09:59 AM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the fluffy feather but feel the white background doesn't help. For these shots, I really like blue for contrast. I also want a bit more direct like on the bill to make the yellow pop.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Anderson View Post
    I like the fluffy feather but feel the white background doesn't help. For these shots, I really like blue for contrast. I also want a bit more direct like on the bill to make the yellow pop.
    Hi Dorian, not much I could do. Overcast morning, soft early light, I had to move off the light angle to get a pure uncluttered background. I liked the soft muted feeling of the image, soft light. Thank you for viewing and commenting, your comments are always appreciated.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Hi Dorian, not much I could do. Overcast morning, soft early light, I had to move off the light angle to get a pure uncluttered background. I liked the soft muted feeling of the image, soft light. Thank you for viewing and commenting, your comments are always appreciated.
    Yeah, I get it, you worked with what you had. I just don't bother shooting in flat light since the gulls, shorebirds, and ducks around me really need sun to shine. I use flat light days to ride my bike and go birdwatching instead.....

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yeah, I get it, you worked with what you had. I just don't bother shooting in flat light since the gulls, shorebirds, and ducks around me really need sun to shine. I use flat light days to ride my bike and go birdwatching instead.....
    Yup, and you crawl around the ground also, but at 76 years old I do things a little different. I have been blessed with being reasonably fit with good health. So I take advantage of each day I can get out. Be safe and well, remember those white sharks off you coast love yum yum yellow kayaks.
    Joe Przybyla

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I actually like flat light for everyday photography, some of my best photos has been in overcast days. I also live the middle of the Caribbean where light can get super harsh at times so flat light helps to spend the day outside with nice even light from all angles.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raybel Robles View Post
    I actually like flat light for everyday photography, some of my best photos has been in overcast days. I also live the middle of the Caribbean where light can get super harsh at times so flat light helps to spend the day outside with nice even light from all angles.
    Hi Ray, very similar to Florida. Thank you for viewing and commenting.
    Joe Przybyla

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Yup, and you crawl around the ground also, but at 76 years old I do things a little different. I have been blessed with being reasonably fit with good health. So I take advantage of each day I can get out. Be safe and well, remember those white sharks off you coast love yum yum yellow kayaks.
    Too funny about the kaya! Yeah, I certainly do a lot of crawling around. And i swing the big 600 a lot. I know the day will come when I can't do either, so I gotta do it now!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice to see the breeding plummage of this ring bill. Like the ruffled up feathers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love clouds. Nice image design. Notice that though the light was very soft it still had direction -- from our left.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.