Thread: arctic tern

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Default arctic tern

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken in Iceland on Flatey Island. Full frame, no crop. I desaturated the reds, but they are truly screaming red... Not a fan of a bird on a post but this is a pretty lichen encrusted post so i "gave in" The tiff file looks great with fine feather detail, but what a loss when converted to jpeg as presented here...

1Dx
    840mm
    ISO 1000
    1/1600

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice bird, soft light, and BKGR. And I like the perch a lot more than I though that I would from the thumbnail. Good job in post.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely portrait of this great Tern. Nice background, and I like the post. (I think I know exactly which post that was.)

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image, Ann. I do not mind the post at all and as you mentioned the lichens add much. Beautiful bird, nicely shown. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the details, pose, light, composition and perch doesn't bother me. Nice image Ann.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice clean image with lovely details, the yellow stuff on the perch makes it special. I would a bit more room in front of the bird, even thought it will make the image more panoramic.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I would love a close up photo of an Arctic Tern. High on my list of species to shoot. Perfect head turn and perfect pose. I do not like the perch at all despite the lichen. Don't ever care for man made perches. Your bird is too blue, the photo too dark and the blacks of the head are not deep enough. I did the following somewhat globally and quickly. Ran autotone at 50% on whole shot, warmed it up a bit, ran a 25/25 detail extractor/tonal contrast layer on bird and perch and reduced the blues on the bird by 100%. Also added 2 points of black to the blacks in selective color. This will get you closer to where the shot should be. If you have overcast conditions then you will almost always have too much blue in your shot from the lack of warm light. Subtle difference but compare both versions and you can see the blue wash to the bird is gone.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this one alot. The pose on the bird is nice with good detail. Has that killer background as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Ann. Actually I don't mind the perch because of all the nice lichen on it. Matches the beautiful green BG too. Love those red feet and beak. Never seen one so I can't comment on color but Isaac's repost looks better in the blacks for sure. Well done and keep em coming
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com