Thread: Swallow-tailed bee-eater

IOTY Winner 2008 Chris van Rooyen's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Swallow-tailed bee-eater

Attached Images Attached Images

This is another image from the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. These little bee-eaters nest in the dry banks of the fossil rivers there, in this case the Nossob River. In winter they form small flocks where they are often encountered along the dry river bed perching on the low branches of shrubs and trees. It requires pretty deft reflexes to catch them in flight as they hawk insects from their perches, I was lucky here to catch this bird taking off in a relatively strong wind. The wind helped in that the bird moved laterally for a split second before it moved forward, with the result that it stayed in focus. The light wasn't great being the middle of the day, but fortunately some dappled sunlight fell on the head - I lightened the shadows on the left side of the head to reveal more detail. I also removed a few distracting branches. About 50% crop. Processed in PS CC and LR CC with Neat Image noise removal.

Camera Model: NIKON D3S
    Date/Time: 2016:07:04 12:18:06
    Shutter speed: 1/4000 sec
    Aperture: 10
    Exposure mode: Manual
    Exposure compensation: -1/3
    ISO: 2800
    Lens: 500 mm f/4.0

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

WOW!!! You handled the light well and the BG, details, colors and pose(wings and tail spread and HA) take it over the top for me. TFS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Love the pose and would wish for those ruby eyes to have been lit, nice composition, dof, and freeze of the wings.

4. Thanks Chris van Rooyen thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great pose. Sharp as well. The wings have a nice glow to them.

6. Thanks Chris van Rooyen thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the colors on this bee-eater and the pose really shows them well. I like the sharpness and sweet BG. Excellent image Chris.

8. Thanks Chris van Rooyen thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thats a Beauty Chris...Great colours on the bird with lovely detail and an awesome flight pose. Lovely BG and great perch. I like your crop. Even without the perch in the frame, I think this would look real good. Well done.

Will

10. Thanks Chris van Rooyen thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You captured a really great pose here. Really like the image design with the big weathered perch.

12. Thanks Chris van Rooyen thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Chris,.I think think the light from the side has helped here and made those wings special .Agree with William it could stand by itself without the perch if you felt like it. Don't quite understand why you would choose f10. I have seen many of your Carmines but can't remember seeing any settings.

14. Thanks Chris van Rooyen thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McLachlan View Post
    Very nice Chris,.I think think the light from the side has helped here and made those wings special .Agree with William it could stand by itself without the perch if you felt like it. Don't quite understand why you would choose f10. I have seen many of your Carmines but can't remember seeing any settings.
    Ian, I used F10 in order to get more DOF, which hopefully will give me a better chance to get the whole bird sharp as it takes off.

16. Thanks Ian McLachlan thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Those backlit wings are extra special. Well balanced comp. I'd try to enhance the reds of the eyes. Pretty neat overall!

18. Thanks Chris van Rooyen thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The pose and color on the bird are fantastic, but I find the oversized perch and trunk really distracting. I just can't get passed it, particularly with the side lighting. I'm OCD about cleanliness though, sometimes to my own detriment!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beyond spectacular pose and sharpness. Bad luck that the bird's head is so close to the perch ... And you did a great job processing the sidelight. Would a tighter crop work for you?

with love and respect,
    artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

21. Thanks Chris van Rooyen thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

[QUOTE=Arthur Morris;1208864]Beyond spectacular pose and sharpness. Bad luck that the bird's head is so close to the perch ... And you did a great job processing the sidelight. Would a tighter crop work for you?

Hi Artie, thanks for the comments. Yes, a tighter crop might be better, I don't think I have enough pixels in this instance though.