Thread: Perfect Flight Shot?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Perfect Flight Shot?

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created on the third afternoon of the Spoonbill Boat IPT. I used the hand held Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR lens, the Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III, and my souped up Nikon D850. ISO 800. Matrix metering plus 1/3 stop off the sky: 1/2500 sec. at f/8 was more than a stop under-exposed. (Even though the skies were clear, it was late in the day; the light was very soft and, in addition, it was a bit hazy.) NATURAL AUTO WB at 5:27pm on a clear afternoon.Nikon Focus Peaking fine-tune value: 0. See the Nikon AF Fine-tune e-Guide here.Center Group (grp)/Continuous (C in Nikon/AI Servo with Canon) AF was active at the moment of exposure. The array was centered on the bird’s face; good on me. This image is perfectly sharp on the eye.

The posted image is full frame. All that I did in PS was to selectively sharpen the face with a contrast mask.

Learn more about the creation of this image in the Flight Poses and Wings Positions: Part I of Many. And a killer forward-facing/turning left flight image made with the 500 PF/TC-E14/D850 Rig blog post here.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice how the bird is fully stretched out. Also like the diagonal line it creates. Light looks sweet.

3. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yep, it sure looks good here...Beautiful detail and DOF. I reckon you got the exposure spot on...What a great underwing display. Why would you use Matrix metering, I have never used that mode but wondering now if I should.

Will

5. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Diagonal bird adds to the image. I always had wings clipped for this kind of image.

I like everything about the image, may be a you could reduce the sharpening a little, it looks slightly over sharpened for me on my monitor.

TFS

7. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like a frggin dinosaur from below. Nice details but for me to be perfect you would need eye level and a varied background.

9. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Krishna Prasad kotti View Post
    Diagonal bird adds to the image. I always had wings clipped for this kind of image.

I like everything about the image, may be a you could reduce the sharpening a little, it looks slightly over sharpened for me on my monitor.

TFS
    Yeah, I usually clip that pose too. What looks over-sharpened?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Yeah, I usually clip that pose too. What looks over-sharpened?

with love, artie
    Details on the bird looked over sharpened to me on my monitor

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Krishna Prasad kotti View Post
    Details on the bird looked over sharpened to me on my monitor
    I selectively sharpened the head and then sharpened theJ JPEG at at 80/.3/0 (Unsharp Mask), a very low value ...

with love, artie
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 02-22-2019 at 06:39 PM.

13. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't see any sharpening issues. The lighting on the face is really nice, and I love how we can see every feather in the wings. The flight angle and diagonal position really work well. I cannot believe how long the wings appear. The detail looks good considering the size of the bird.

15. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

sharpness and IQ look great from here but I agree would have loved to see this eye level against beautiful ocean blue

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

17. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

For the eye level fans: thanks, and I agree that that would be a killer image. But then without the amazing underwing detail ...

with love, artie on his new laptop where I can see all the shades of the calibration strip ...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Really amazing Artie! Wonderful sharp detail of all those feathers underneath. I like the diagonal full spread and the separated wing tips. Wowsa, doesn't look over sharpened at all to me.

20. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am not sure about "a perfect flight shot" because for me, the angle is too steep. Having the pelican 2 feet lower would have been killer! I believe that you would still have gotten the great light under the wings and a better head view.
    Great underwing details and beautiful light as presented. Tack sharp. The diagonal position within the frame is lovely.
    Very nice Artie!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

"Two feet lower" when the bird is 40 feet in the air sounds a little thin to me ....

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by William Dickson View Post
    Yep, it sure looks good here...Beautiful detail and DOF. I reckon you got the exposure spot on...What a great underwing display. Why would you use Matrix metering, I have never used that mode but wondering now if I should.

Will
    HI Bill, Matrix is the Nikon equivalent of Canon's Evaluative. I have used it from Day 1 with Nikon. What metering mode are you using?

with love, artie

24. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, I never realised that Matrix was the same as Evaluative, yes that's what I use.

Will
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 03-01-2019 at 06:36 AM.

26. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post