Thread: Shady Lady - Female Common Goldeneye

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Shady Lady - Female Common Goldeneye

Attached Images Attached Images

Since I have you a super tight headshot yesterday, I'm coming back with the other extreme today.

I'm a huge fan of these small-in-frame-type shots, but they're really hard to execute. So, I'm curious
    what people think about this one.

As much as I like capturing action/flight shots, they rarely offer the chance to play with light
    the same way as static shots.

This shot and my recent Pied-billed Grebe and Ring-necked Duck all came from the same morning,
    so it was a super productive outing.

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II + 1.4x III on EOS 1DX Mark II
    1/3200 at f/5.6, ISO 400, handheld
    Very minimal processing in LR CC. Did clone out one significant ripple that reflected the blue sky. Uniform green is much better.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 02-22-2019 at 10:44 AM.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks fabulous to me. I don't see anything I would change. Colors, light, background all just about perfect. Thank you for sharing, Dorian.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It works very well for me - but then I like the more unusual type of shot. The darkness is effective due to that wonderful eye. Maybe try cloning the catchlight out as I find it distracting here, not often that gets said!

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice image, I like this type of photos with a dark BG but nice light on the bird. I would crop tighter a bit, there is a lot of empty space specially below the duck.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sharp with nice light but the large expanse of foreground bugs me ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the mood of the image. Details are nice as is the light but this one is too dark for me and there is too much dead space below the bird. I would try and lift the exposure a bit more on the bird to really give a spot light effect and cut off some of the dead space below.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like it as presented. The bird is perfectly placed in the frame. Love that dark water.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this...It would look really fab on a large print. Yes, very appealing to my eye.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would remove the bottom on the image, make it more of Pano crop which improves the image.

Light on the bird looks really nice.

TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well, the 8 responses thusfar are split - 4 love the wide foreground, 3 suggest cropping in more. To me this shot is all about the watery habitat; if I had more frame would have cropped even wider. The huge majority of my shots (and generally shots on this board) follow the same tried-and-true cropping format, one that is very subject forward, so I wanted something different, more habitat forward. So, thank you all for the feedback. The shot was designed wider, and I'm going to keep it that way for the moment.