Thread: Greater Scaup

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Greater Scaup

Attached Images Attached Images

In my area these birds are extremely difficult to get close to. There are typically huge rafts of them out in the bays but no way to get anywhere near them. And the few times I see them close to shore they will swim directly away from you the second you start to approach them. For this image I was out looking for a Pacific Loon that was reported the day before and happened upon this bird that broke away from its flock to feed near a boat slip. I counted how long it dove a few times in a row to get a feel for how much time I had to approach. In between it diving I ran and then laid down so that I would not startle it. Took three times but after the third time I got close enough to shoot it when it popped up from feeding. I only had my 500mm PF with me so I shot it wide open to get as much subject isolation as possible. Upon viewing at home I was thrilled with the blur it created from being low to the water.

Nikon D850 and Nikon 500mm PF. ISO 800, F5.6, SS 1/3200

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image -- iridescence shows nicely, and exposure is spot on. Good field technique.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good job on getting this one. Nice sheen on the head. The angle and water are very nice.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great Isaac. I have a bunch of Lessers but no Greaters in my collection. Did you lift the blacks/darks on the face at all? If yes, I might dial it back just a touch. It looks a bit washed out compared to have they appear in real life.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Dorain when the sun hit this bird his head lit up nicely. I lifted the shadows a small amount but then lowered the blacks just about as much in LR. This is pretty much straight out of the camera how it looked. in PS I deepened the blacks a bit more as well. Seems within range of what I am used to seeing on these guys if you view them close and in nice light. Now Lesser is a whole other thing. We get far fewer of them by me and still do not have a nice pic. Am hoping to get to Maryland soon to get them.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really Nice Isaac! Great detail and perfect HA and eye contact. Absolutely gorgeous. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Up here we get the Lessers a lot more than the Greaters. Super nice low angle and I love the sheen on the head feathers. Not sure about the Greaters, but the Lessers respond nicely to call, coming close enough for full-frame tight portraits (and offering very cool head-on swimming poses as they approach)...but they are only fooled once...then it's game over until the next morning .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a difference a few hundred miles make Daniel. I can literally drive 10 minutes and see thousands of Greater Scaup all winter out in the bay and never be within a 1/4 mile of them. There are hardly any lessers here at all. About 25 spend the winter in one flock on the Brooklyn side of New York Harbor but there is no way to get down to eye level as most of the land is private and where you can access you are always well above them on a pier or a sea wall. Another reason to come visit!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image. I love the colors a lot.

I never got a chance to photograph both lesser and greater scaups at all.

We do see them sometimes in Utah but they are never close enough for photography

10. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Now this is NICE!!
    Absolutely no nits from me.
    Love the comp, the IQ, the perfect head turn, the light. You have shown the iridescence on the head perfectly.
    You nailed this one Isaac!

12. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post