Thread: On guard

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default On guard

Attached Images Attached Images

Sanjeev's recent posting reminded me to look back, so here is one of two brothers who we found one morning feeding on a Buffalo, killed in the night. This guy was alert, not wishing to allow anyone to feed on the demising carcass. What he had seen was a Leopard looking down, waiting for a suitable moment to sneak in a steal a tasty morsel.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Lion (Panthera leo) early morning having feasted on a carcass
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKI
    Lens: 200-400f/4 resting on Bean bag
    Exposure: 1/800s at f/5.6 ISO3200
    Original format: Landscape, slight crop from the top & RHS
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

IOTY Winner 2008 Chris van Rooyen's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice alert pose, lovely warm light. Technicals are spot on. Great portrait, no nits from my side.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice portrait. Solid pose with a good background. Is this a young lion. Has pretty short hair compared to others i have seen on here.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve you are setting me up aren't you! I will ask and then you will illustrate my ignorance....... super details good composition altogether a great image..........but I have to ask about his ear and sideburns - were they really so orange? I am sure you will say of course they were!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve you are setting me up aren't you! I will ask and then you will illustrate my ignorance...
    Jon, LOL, I don't set anyone up and a bit puzzled you think that, are we talking - 'shades of Bullfinch'?

From the start of the encounter the light was flat as ditchwater as the steep hill blocked the sun, but as the two Lions moved the carcass in a form of 'tug of war' and as the sun came up, the light got very intense in parts. The carcass even had parts of denseness & translucency if you know what I mean. Where the light hits the coat ie on the LHS it takes on an appearance of looking 'grey' not a sandy colour, if you remember our conversation/ I think it's just a case of shades looking flat, in light very saturated.

Jon, if I have 5 mins tomorrow I might call you either in the morning or at the airport to try to expand.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Steve,

Hope the leopard did get a tasty morsel from the mighty lion's kill

Wonderful image, love the stare from the subject and unforgiving eyes. Suuperb detail as usual and that red mane is gorgeous. Always interesting what light - or the lack of it - can do when it comes to colour.

Image is well composed and with a nice colourful BG. I am tempted to flip it horizontally though The blood gives a very dramatic aspect.

I truly enjoyed this, thank you so much for sharing, and wishing you a wonderful trip! Might surprise you with a message if I find a spot of signal

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, glad you posted this 'old' image from your archives. A fine one, with a powerful subject and alert pose and blood-tinged face. Details and colours very nice as usual.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- What a cracking framed loved the mood here and colours as well. Sharpening nicely handled , it can easily get crunchy because of the wetness in the fur, very nicely done . Enjoyed this one a lot.

TFS !