Thread: Jardinii

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Jardinii

Attached Images Attached Images

This is the Jardinii subspecies of the agile wallaby, found in coastal tropical Queensland. They are losing habitat to housing development on the outskirts of Cairns, and large mobs now feed on the playing fields in one of the northern suburbs. In this situation wallabies would often be fairly tame, but there is conflict with the locals, so these are really skittish. I got this one coming in my general direction as it was chased by a dog... Lots of rain in the wet season, makes for a nice splash.
    1/1000, f5.6, ISO5000, 400mm.
    Faster shutter speed would have been better, but it was verging on an unusable ISO in the low light, so about the best with the gear in hand.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty neat frame. Like the action and all that splashing water. The composition looks good to me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Loving the mid hop action and subsequent water splashes here Greg, nicely seen. Overall quality & techs look good considering the low lighting cond's. Was this with your Canon 1DX?

Quote Originally Posted by greg cowle View Post
    They are losing habitat to housing development on the outskirts of Cairns, and large mobs now feed on the playing fields in one of the northern suburbs.
    Having purchased land & subsequent property build in Palm Cove some 9 yrs ago, I must plead some responsibility here Greg, I can remember we used to see a lot of these guys back then, and look forward soon to our return to FNQ after some 6 years now living in Switzerland.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc, this was with a 5D4, the high pixel count sensors run out of ISO range more quickly than the pro bodies. These were at Trinity Beach, so you are not directly responsible, although close! I guess all those suburbs are merging now, so it won't get better for the wallabies.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greg cowle View Post
    although close! I guess all those suburbs are merging now, so it won't get better for the wallabies.
    Could say the same for our Rugby team

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Greg I know the issue with the 5D IV very well, I have been photographing black grouse at dawn on two occasions and I haven't kept a single shot! High ISO and high SS with reasonable DOF is not a good combination!
    Having said that I think the image is worthwhile and I have learned a new name too! Maybe consider brightening the eye a wee bit? I like the green grass, I frequently struggle to get a natural looking green.

7. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice action shot with the 'mid-air hop' and the water trail Greg. Good IQ for the ISO setting. TFS.

9. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Greg -- Nicely timed , very difficult to capture the action moments in wildlife and you have done quite well in that department. nice suggestions above , but still nice to see a new specie posted here.

TFS !

11. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Greg - A nicely timed action shot. The splash of water really adds to the image. Good suggestions above.

TFS,
    Rachel