Thread: Leopard portrait

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Leopard portrait

Attached Images Attached Images

A leopard from my 2015 Botswana trip. No recent photo opportunities so digging up old files. Used the new PS CC and DPP software.
    7D II
    700mm
    1/800
    f/6.3
    ISO 800

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Sanjeev, a nice encounter with a cooperative Leopard and nothing wrong in visiting old files with new software & acquired knowledge in PP.

Perhaps a bit more below and I feel you needed more DoF, it appears to be drifting off just by the eyes, so perhaps f/9, although not sure how far you could push the ISO on the &d without it impacting on IQ, you needed the exposure to be bang on. The blacks appear heavy and in parts bordering on being crunchy, perhaps back off on Contrast, Blacks & sharpening. Killer background, this would have been awesome with the 5D4.

Just some thoughts, but giving the grass some Saturation and or Luminance, darkening the LHS slightly, brightening the right (see the white chest fur & ears), as that was the side with light on and so you start to build on the scene. there is a lot more you can do with the Raw, but it's about 'sculpting with light' here.

TFS
    Steve

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve. This was a quick edit on my laptop since my iMac is down. The RP looks better thanks again. I am finding I need much less sharpening in PS CC in final step than CS5.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Solid portrait of a beautiful cat. I like your crop.

6. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am finding I need much less sharpening in PS CC in final step than CS5.
    Refinements & upping the default.

If you ever revert back to ACR for the initial processing let me know, as ACR has inherited (same engine) some of the hidden issues in LR that I think needs addressing. Think DPP was updated too, just check a short while ago.

8. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great portrait. This is one of the better ones i have seen on here. Maybe even the best. Nice and sharp with great details and background. Well done.

10. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful lighting and BG here Sanjeev, whilst Steve has addressed most of the small issues here, I would personally back off the sharpening a tad.

TFS

12. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Doc -- A very nice portrait , probably your finest leopard sighting till date. I like what Steve has done in his RP , my initial thoughts reg the blacks appearing a bit heavy have been negated in the RP. Stunning BKG , the 1DX MK II would have made this a killer file.

Nice image nonetheless.

TFS !

14. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sanjeev - lovely shot I too think contrast a little high it looks a little dense or heavy.
    Regards sharpening in DPP suggest you try Sharpen 0 (yes 0) Unsharp mask 1.5, 3-4, 4-6 - see if you like it, look at 100% and see the effect of the individual values.
    Ensure that if you use Sharpen try 1.5-2 but not in combination with USM.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Such lovely pose from your leopard, Sanjeev. This is one of the prettiest images you've shown us lately, I took great pleasure viewing.

Good comments from everyone above and I completely agree with Steve's observations. His RP brings out the finer details and a warmer, softer look to this portrait.

Overall a wonderful capture with so much to look at, subject is a beauty and BG is superb. Lovely work!

PS Forgive me for coming in so late, right now I feel I there's little to add ( in terms of critique) to what has already been said.
    Talking about leopards, soon I'll be on my way to a magic place to look for some leopards of my own...Hope to bring back images to share

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

17. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all. Appreciate it. Haseeb, I did pick up the 1D X II I had mentioned. So I am looking forward to April :-)
    Jon, can you please clarify a bit on Sharpening in DPP? Should I sharpen using 'sharpen' or 'USM' ? Which is better? In Sharpen I used to use level 3. TIA.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sanjeev i don't think there is necessarily a definitive answer, its a bit like saying which is best Smart Sharpen or Unsharp mask both work well in the right hands, having said that you can refine Smart Sharpen more then USM.
    In DPP the Sharpen is a global setting so I would suggest keeping the sharpening a little less than 3, 1 to 2 is usually enough.
    The Unsharp mask in DPP enables you to control the amount and radius of the sharpening so if you try the Strength at 1-2 something like that and the Fineness in the region of 3 to 4 or even 5 and the Threshold to around 4 to 6. Set your image to 100% then start with Strength at 1-2 see the effect. then adjust Finess and see the effect and then likewise the Threshold, the latter enables you not to sharpen the background.
    Regarding Noise Reduction if you use DPP there are default values specific to your camera and ISO , I ususally go for about half the default value.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just to repeat don't use Sharpen and Unsharp mask, use one or the other.