Thread: Ground Hog(Wood Chuck)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ground Hog(Wood Chuck)

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 9/25/18 at 5:37PM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

More of a documentrary shot. I have heard wood chucks can climb trees never seen it though. There were what look liked coyote tracks all around the base of this apple tree.

Hand held, Small crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    600mm
    ISO 4000
    f8.0
    1/125sec

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello John,
    I think it's an awesome behavioural shot More of a "Tree Hog" than a Ground Hog, LOL.

Very cute and I love the way he is bundled up there among the branches - well spotted, he probably thought he was so well camouflaged

Nothing you could have done about the branches in this instance, but it's nice that his face is "in the clear" and eye is visible. I like the green BG, makes the subject stand out. Would be quite a job to try remove the OOF branches...

I personally enjoyed this, very different from we see in the Wildlife Forum every day and interesting too - thank you so much for sharing!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John -- Nice to see a different subject from your end. Very difficult settings but appears like an unusual viewing. The oof straight branch intersecting the hog is a bit distracting. i think you got away with the low ss.

TFS !