Thread: Tiger - on the hunt...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tiger - on the hunt...

Attached Images Attached Images

Before leaving the Bagh, and from the intel we received we decided to try the other gate into the reserve.

Freezing cold we set off at 5.45am to ensure we were the first to enter the park so we could detect any pug marks, but this meant all the other vehicles then just followed our tracks... 45 minute later we found the two you males sleeping and so it was a waiting game, something Haseeb & Sanjeev are only too well aware of. Suddenly a Sambar deer came into the 'arena', slap back in the centre of the two males, we first thought it was sick or injured and prepped for the ensuing action.

Two two brothers then began the task of stalking, but the Sambar had been sand bagging and with the inexperience of the cubs it got away, but great fun to see, witness and ultimately, the avoidance in not hitting other vehicles in the melee to get the best vantage point, remember, you can't go 'off road'.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Tiger (Panthera tigris) stalking early morning
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 100-400f/4.5 HH
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/5.6 ISO8000
    Original format: Landscape, almost FF on width, slight crop at foot
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the overall impression the image conveys, perhaps the tiger is a little dead centre laterally speaking. The colours appear to be quite muted, I suspect this was due to light and or season though I expect the ISO would have some influence on matters. Knowing you and the attention you put in the presentation I am a little hesitant to say the image is a little flat, but it does appear so to my eye, noise appears to be well controlled, it is there I don't mind a bit of noise if it ins't too intrusive. I suspect the image would have lost significant detail and would have looked the worse for it had you increased NR. A pleasing image and I like the pose, the tiger certainly looks keen on pursuit.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am a little hesitant to say the image is a little flat, but it does appear so to my eye
    LOL Jon, it was, light was of a premium, with no real saturation, everything was of a muted nature, plus it was Winter, so no real richness per se.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- As far as what Steve has described and from my experience with tiger sightings I can say that the scene is very nicely reproduced in terms of colours. Early morning winter light is a tough thing for the photographers and if there is an action happening one needs to increase the ISO as well. On top of it you have to compete for space and positioning for best angle. Tiger sightings last for a very few minutes ( that too is a long time when it comes to tigers) and if you are able make any good image or get a nice pose then it is your luck.

Coming to the image, I really liked the atmosphere and the pose, can literally imagine the excitement in Steve's car and with other vehicles as well. I think you have done extremely well to get this shot. Nicely done .

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is next level incredible imo !! What an image !! I understand the muted colour crit and the centralized Tiger crit however i dont know how those could be improved in this specific image

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- As far as what Steve has described and from my experience with tiger sightings I can say that the scene is very nicely reproduced in terms of colours. Early morning winter light is a tough thing for the photographers and if there is an action happening one needs to increase the ISO as well. On top of it you have to compete for space and positioning for best angle. Tiger sightings last for a very few minutes ( that too is a long time when it comes to tigers) and if you are able make any good image or get a nice pose then it is your luck.
    Many thanks Haseeb, as often it's hard to try and convey the scene when very few folk have the opportunity to experience themselves. It's also nice to know that the 'humble' narrative actually reflects your own experiences giving the whole post gravitas.

Coming to the image, I really liked the atmosphere and the pose, can literally imagine the excitement in Steve's car and with other vehicles as well. I think you have done extremely well to get this shot. Nicely done .
    Nothing quite prepares you for how these vehicles work and the skill in which the drivers weave & dart in-between each other, Africa and the Mara simply doesn't compare, but you MUST keep all gear secure. Our driver AKA 'The Boss' really did earn every penny and constantly goes us into the prime spot, Haseeb, the 'Boss' is a legend and you must try to get hm when you next go.

7. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks Basil, but you too can achieve results like this, you have the kit and understanding.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very good evening to you Steve,

Awesome sighting and capture and I love the way the subject is framed by the two (more prominent) trees in the BG. I really like the inclusion of environment here. Techs are spot on and your gear performed very well at high ISO... I gather lighting conditions were tough. Repositioning the vehicle was out of question, under the circumstances you describe.

The size of this tiger is truly impressive, so is the stalking pose. Having read your intro and exchanges with Jon and Haseeb, I came to conclusion the colours are consistent with lighting conditions. Good detail on the tiger's face, there's also a nice 3D feel to the frame.

Steve, I have been following your work for a number of years and I think your PP work is always so sensible and thoughtful - I hardly ever find fault with your images because I understand your thinking behind them.
    Took great pleasure viewing this tonight, and I promise to be more careful and put even more thought into my images...Hope to produce some nice work that'll make you proud very soon, and I take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to help and guide me for the past six years

Warmest regards,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 02-16-2019 at 01:01 AM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The details look nice and the stalking pose is neat. The tiger is too centered for me wish it was more to the left.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dynamic, wonderful find and capture. I can only image what it is to be so close and have the whereabouts to capture the image. Thank you for sharing, Steve.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

IOTY Winner 2008 Chris van Rooyen's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely atmosphere, pin sharp, beautiful background. Noise well controlled. Well done

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, a solid tiger image with 'classic' habitat in winter light. The composition is fine, the subject of so good and the PP work is super as usual. Would have been happy to have witnessed this. Will surely contact "Boss" when I plan a trip there in 2020.