Thread: Northern Harrier

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Northern Harrier

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all,

A northern harrier taken this afternoon. I've been trying to get out more in the rain and snow to try get some different settings than I normally do, and also to see if I can get lucky with some more skittish birds as the parks are pretty empty on those days. One downside to this type of weather is pretty low light, so tough for flight work. Pretty standard processing for me, NR at RAW and in Photoshop.

Camera: Nikon D500
    Lens: 200-500mm f/5.6 at 500mm
    Specs: 1/2000 f/5.6 ISO 5,000

Thanks for looking and commenting on prior posts!
    Alex

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not bad but too dark :)

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like this Alex. Love that you are pushing the envelope. When everyone else is complaining about the weather, go make some great images! Yes to it being a bit dark, but looks great for ISO 5,000! This is memorable for the habitat and the weather conditions and stands up well to other Harrier shots in better conditions. We have all seen loads of stellar harrier shots (Not from me though ) but very few in conditions like this. Keep it up!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great mood to this frame. Yes it is a little dark. The pose is nice and the streaks of rain tell a story. I love shooting in snow or rain. Nice to see something different.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice scene Alex. Well done to be out in this weather. The scene is dark, but still much better than any Harrier Image I have to date.
    Robert Kimbrell

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great of you to go out regardless - I love doing that too and often end up with cool stuff that no one else has because they stayed home :-) Lovely harrier in nice snowy habitat, but yes to being dark, and perhaps also a little too smooth from NR? Enjoyable image nonetheless.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great to go out and try to photograph nature any time. As for the image. I do like it, given the low light and conditions you did well. Congrats.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all, much appreciated. I can look at brightening the image a bit. Between the light and high ISO, the RAW was super flat, so I may have been too aggressive about adding some points of black / neutral into the image and may be able to lighten it up from there. Probably could back off the NR a bit as well. Will check both. It's great getting out in these conditions as you either get some unique, or if you don't...well you wouldn't have gotten anything staying home either, so no real loss.

Thanks again all,