Thread: Family in the neighborhood...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Family in the neighborhood...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R EF 100-400 I 400mm f8 1/1600 ISO 400
    Another busy (in more ways than one) day at the rookery. As mom preens and neighbor turns eggs, these two play. Despite unaesthetic view, couldn't resist these two punk rockers. Before the nesting is done, I will get a clean view somewhere at Wako.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The little punk rock herons are super cute! But the shot as a whole is far from pleasing to me. I can honestly say that I do not like the vast majority of the rookery shots that I have seen. This one does not work for me at all and is a delete. Way too cluttered, the Wood Stork in the back is distracting, the whites of the adult's undertail are completely blown out and all of the out of focus foliage in the foreground are super distracting. I think you need to try and push the envelope with these shots. Get them at first light (maybe not even sun up) or sunset. Get them backlit and perched in a non cluttered spot. Something different. Otherwise while being at a rookery is a fantastic experience, viewing the pics is not the same. We don't hear the sounds, we don't smell the smells, we don't experience the chaos in the same way as what is translated in a single pic.

3. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks nice and sharp on the chicks. That wood stork really kills this one for me. Looks like you have fun out there though.

5. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi David, I agree fully with Isaac and would ask you to consider challenging yourself for higher quality images for all of the above reasons. If you choose to do that then your time in the field will become more rewarding as you hone your skills to compose, improve camera skills, as well as training your eye for quality. It is obvious that you love to shoot and appreciate birds. The majority of your images lack a fairly clean BG or clean BG and often have intersecting elements and choas... I know its habitat etc, but look for the shot out there with these suggestions and I think you will be rewarded. Images like this one are not a delete for me as i wouldn't even bother to photograph it. Also try fine tuning your exposure skills as often they are problematic in your images. Respectfully, these are all kind critiques and suggestions for you to consider. The spirit of this site is for all of us to always continue learning. Go get em!

7. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Would have been a lot better without the Wood Stork ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

9. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post