Thread: Wood Stork

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wood Stork

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image at Lake Mirror in Lakeland, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED image captured at 185mm
    1/1000 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV -1/3 ISO 180 AWB, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC, Photoshop CC 2019 and Neat Image for noise reduction
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty much perfect but, after I cleaned my glasses and made sure that Brightness was optimized on my laptop it still looks overall too dark ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the composition, the details and the pose on this beauty. Agree with Artie, it could go just a little brighter. TFS

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Pretty much perfect but, after I cleaned my glasses and made sure that Brightness was optimized on my laptop it still looks overall too dark ...

with love, artie
    Hmmm, I thought you had a new monitor ordered. Still using your laptop? If I remember correctly you mentioned that your laptop showed images dark and you couldn't correct it (conversations with Ari). Could that be the reason?
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here is a repost, I pulled up the curve a bit and increased the contrast and exposure a tad.
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 02-11-2019 at 11:01 AM.
    Joe Przybyla

8. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the pose and the detail in the head and bill. These are certainly fascinating birds. The first thing I thought before reading the other comments was that the image would look better with a little brightening. TFS

10. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Hmmm, I thought you had a new monitor ordered. Still using your laptop? If I remember correctly you mentioned that your laptop showed images dark and you couldn't correct it (conversations with Ari). Could that be the reason?
    Never ordered it. And yes, you are right. But my brain has sort of adjusted to that. Best to check out the RGB values of the brightest WHITEs. They do not lie.

with love, arite
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

12. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Here is a repost, I pulled up the curve a bit and increased the contrast a tad.
    Did you forget to attach?

with love, artie

14. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Did you forget to attach?

with love, artie
    Maybe reposting again after reading and checking with your previous comment. Try now.
    Joe Przybyla

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That little bump made it much better on my monitor.

17. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice pose and I like the clean background. The colors and processing look off on both original and repost. As Artie mentioned it is dark, the whites are grayed out and it is not as detailed as it should be. Repost gets you in the ball park of what a wood stork should be looking like. I would go back to the original and have another go at this one. Would warm it up some as well. Note that I only did a few global adjustments and did not worry about getting the whites and all highlights perfect.

19. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is bang on for the pose,composition and the background. Details look nice the brighter repost is much better.

21. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Isaac's repost looks much better. Earlier versions are very gray/green in comparison. Head detail is lovely. I only wish we could see a bit more of hill big bill.

23. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am late to the party but as soon as I looked at this, I felt the image needed to be brightened significantly.
    I really like the pose, HA and BG.
    Isaac's post nails it!
    Gail

25. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, very much appreciated. I revisited the master file and edited that per the suggestions and Isaac's edit. Here is the repost with those changes.
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 02-12-2019 at 06:33 PM.
    Joe Przybyla