Thread: Juvenile snow goose

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Juvenile snow goose

Attached Images Attached Images

I was at a local snowgoose hotspot last november sitting on the ground, and this curious guy waddled over to check me out . He ended up coming so close i couldnt focus any more , something that doesnt happen often.
    1dx markII
    400 f5.6 + ex1.4III
    f8 iso800

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Stuart, Well that is quite close! This close-up against the dark BG intensifies the juvenile's appearance. Delightfully interesting to appreciate the nooks and crannies ( reference to Thomas' English muffins) of the bill. I like the dried soil from field foraging etc, ... Also, I never noticed the stripe across the eyes before, so thanks. Overall some nice details on the face but such closeness gave you inevitable dof and focus fall off , which keeps me toggling back and forth. Great looking eye! I like it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Detail on the bill is amazing...
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very fine detail, looks like it doesn't brush its teeth often! Love the head but as Ann says, pity about the loss of DOF. Double the iso next time and stop down.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sharp and well exposed with great detail and a suitable crop. Stopping down with that combo at 12 feet is not gonna get you any noticeable increase of the d-o-f ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Detail is great here. The pose and light are nice. Maybe a touch more room below the bill. Still very nice.