Thread: Northern Parula

Threaded View

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Northern Parula

Attached Images Attached Images

Slow time of year. Cold enough that all the lakes are frozen over. No ducks. There were a few eagles at the Mississippi lock and dams, but every time I could get there
    it was overcast and the Army Corps of Engineers had the gates open on the inaccessible opposite side of the river. I've resorted to reviewing older images. I took this image
    July 2017. I was surprised it came out as well as it did. I was just setting my tripod down first thing in the morning around a brush pile in the middle of a field. This bird
    landed maybe 12 ft in front me before I could even check exposure settings. I hit the AF and wheeled the shutter speed down(easiest thing to adjust) as far as I could while
    firing off a few frame before the bird bolted. I wasn't very confident about what I going to recover as the image was quite dark on the camera. The iso was set at 400 from the
    previous day. I had to bump the exposure +2 in Adobe Camera Raw. I guess that means it was two stops underexposed? I did apply fairly heavy Topaz DeNoise to the
    background but the bird had a lot less noise than I was expecting. Full frame image. I might have gotten a little carried away with sharpening for posting. Manual mode.

1/320s, f8, iso400

D500, 500mmF4VRII, TC-14EIII
    Last edited by Jack Backs; 02-10-2019 at 12:06 PM.