Thread: Lion Profile

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lion Profile

Attached Images Attached Images

I thought I would post a black and white experiment as a January Theme image. Taken in South Luangwa N.P., Zambia in August 2016. Converted in ACR and PSCC.

Canon 7D2
    300 II plus 2x III
    1/3200
    f5.6 (in hindsight even though it is a profile, I wish I went for a bit more dof)
    ISO800
    HH from safari vehicle, slight crop from below and left for comp, converted in ACR, curves, selective burning and dodging, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice portrait. I'm sure the color version looks quite good. The composition seems spot on to me.

3. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, the side profile works and agree, a bit more DoF, how much were you thinking?

The conversion I find to contrasty for my tastes sadly, the fine detail around the eye and in part overall, is lacking to me, as the eye is the key focal point here. There also seems to be some posterisation in the shadows and the gums again lack the sharpness/detail I feel. I think you should also post the colour version too.

Looking at the techs, I think your 5D3 would have rendered a better capture to start with.

TFS
    Steve

5. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This resonates as an artistic view on the subject. I think the composition is great, and I like that the tonal range is complete from full black to full white. I like that particularly for B&W images (color too), but I know others have different views... Agree an bit more DoF could help, but I think it is a powerful image.

7. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dearest Rachel,

Glad to see you post, we've missed you here

I am a great fan of close-ups and a lion portrait is always right up my alley. Head angle is great and I like the serious pose. I do agree with you regarding need for more DoF.

Your image has a good range of contrast and a variety of grey tones, unfortunately it lacks that much needed fine detail in key places like the eye, nose and muzzle - perhaps it is a big crop?

Composition works well for me and I like the arty feel of the frame, nice thinking Rachel! Love those whiskers, some full length and others broken... Makes me think of a young and boisterous lion - not a cub anymore but not adult yet, we call them "magangaan" in Zulu which translates into " naughty one"

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

9. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

An interesting side HK profile here Rachel, which for me mostly works well, agree that more DOF would have extracted the required detail, but like how it pops from the light BG.

TFS

11. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. I probably should have gone to f7.1 but maybe even stopped down a little more.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel -- I agree with what Steve has to say , especially reg the fine details , it is lacking in that department. Though I liked the framing and a BW image is always a good learning for me. So a helpful post for sure.

TFS !