Thank You Posts

Default Reindeer

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX
    f/4 500mm
    f/7.1
    1/1250
    ISO 2500

This is a different Reindeer from my last image. Captured on the same bleak day, Reindeer have lived on Cairngorm Mountain since 1952 when they were reintroduced. The herd is the only free ranging Reindeer in the UK, and they are thriving, as Cairngorm Mountain is the coldest place in the UK and it suits them just fine

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. Details look pretty good and the flat light brings them out nicely. This would have made a nice vertical.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice image, the tonal depth in the fur looks excellent, from almost black to almost white.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Will, I agree with John's observation, my first thought was, go vertical here, the space just seems cramped top & bottom.

Good detail & clarity where you needed it and it looks like the DoF is spot on. The legs with the slight raised leg I think looks a bit awkward, but nothing you could have done unless you have a few frames where the 'jungle/sea' of legs are less compacted, if you know what I mean? Taking onboard you comment on a previous posting about the coat, the blue is dominating still, you need to address this with a greater amount, all this 'a couple of points' is pointless, does nothing. Overall the subject appears dark in the shadow areas, not clipped, but *opening some of this up , not shadow slider helps, a tweak of the WD (going warmer) with a slight increase in saturation I think may go towards helping the overall look and gives that 'peaty' flavour and I'm not referring to the Talisker.

Can you always add if the image is FF or cropped, thanks Will.

TFS
    Steve

* Will are you pinching the Black & White histogram in Levels?

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Will,

Love the look/pose from this reindeer, those gentle eyes and its velvety coat - what beautiful animal!

Background is superb but I too agree, frame is a little too tight/ lacks the ideal proportion. Very nice POV. Good thinking re. techs, image quality is great, DoF really works. Lovely detail on the face of the subject and those gorgeous antlers.

Really nice RP from Steve - the blue cast has been dealt with and also, the image has a warmer, softer look overall - by "soft" I do not mean unsharp but rather "less severe", or "less contrasty"

Thank you for sharing! I really enjoy your reindeer images Will, please share some more if you have

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will good to see more Reindeer ....
    In General i do like the frame ... cool pose , but needs to go vertical .
    Regarding tone and color .... RP from Steve and suggestions i would like to echo .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Will, I agree with John's observation, my first thought was, go vertical here, the space just seems cramped top & bottom.

Good detail & clarity where you needed it and it looks like the DoF is spot on. The legs with the slight raised leg I think looks a bit awkward, but nothing you could have done unless you have a few frames where the 'jungle/sea' of legs are less compacted, if you know what I mean? Taking onboard you comment on a previous posting about the coat, the blue is dominating still, you need to address this with a greater amount, all this 'a couple of points' is pointless, does nothing. Overall the subject appears dark in the shadow areas, not clipped, but *opening some of this up , not shadow slider helps, a tweak of the WD (going warmer) with a slight increase in saturation I think may go towards helping the overall look and gives that 'peaty' flavour and I'm not referring to the Talisker.

Can you always add if the image is FF or cropped, thanks Will.

TFS
    Steve

* Will are you pinching the Black & White histogram in Levels?
    Hi Steve, thanks for the repost..It looks wee bit too 'yellow' on my monitor, maybe somewhere in-between the two would look better. with regards to the blue, I desaturated the blues, fully to the left with the slider, twice!!! Sorry about not mentioning the crop, but this was basically full frame and cropped for comp. I actually added a little canvas to the top, bottom and RHS. I never used the levels, just the curves... I'll process another Reindeer image, and take on board your comments.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve...Here is the original RAW file converted to jpeg for web..

Name:  RAW.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  575.9 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi William -- I really liked the image and the subject especially. Agree with the suggestions regarding the vertical framing . Colours look good in Steves RP and even the details . A nice one, keep them coming .

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Haseeb, much appreciated