Thread: Black-browed Albatross in straight and level tight flight

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black-browed Albatross in straight and level tight flight

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created on December 23, 2018 at The Neck on Saunders Island, The Falklands. I used the hand Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR lens and my souped up Nikon D850. ISO 1250. Matrix metering plus about 1 1/3rd stops off the sky: 1/2000 sec. at f/6.3 NATURAL AUTO WB at 4:30pm on a cloudy afternoon. Nikon Focus Peaking fine-tune value: +3. See the Nikon AF Fine-tune e-Guide here. Center Group (grp) AF point/Continuous (C in Nikon/AI Servo with Canon) AF was active at the moment of exposure. As seen in the Nikon Capture NX-D screen capture (on the blog), the array was centered squarely on the bird’s (perfectly sharp) right eye.

To learn more about the creation of this image, see the Please Do Not Try This at Home Without Parental Supervision ... A New White Balance Tool/(Color) Temperature Tip. And another Canon Used Gear Fire-sale blog post here.

As for the image, don't be shy. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

with love, artie
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 01-18-2019 at 05:14 AM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, love the soft light, and in turn, perfect whites throughout. Tack sharp where it counts, and love the outline around the beak. This certainly has a 3D in your face shot. Magnificent birds. Well captured.

3. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great and so do the details. Nice and sharp.

5. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This one sure does have a whole lot going for it. Fantastic species, unique crop and great details. I can not tell you how much I love the 500 PF and fully agree with you about it. That lens is reason enough to switch to Nikon for all of you Canon holdouts!

7. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love it Artie. Very in your face. Nice details too. TFS

9. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post