Thread: specular bonanza... but why?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Default specular bonanza... but why?

Attached Images Attached Images

Okay, please help me understand more than what a specular highlight is...
    (This term is generally used to refer to that very bright spot of light that appears on a
    shiny object. When illuminated, a glass sphere, for example, will have a very bright highlight on its surface, which is essentially just a reflection of the light source. This spot is important because it gives the viewer information about where the light source is, and how reflective or shiny (or dull) the sphere’s surface is. This is the first visual cue that you have for imagining that a two-dimensional object exists in three dimensions. Specular highlights are more obvious on reflective objects like metal or glass, where they typically represent as bright white. But that doesn’t mean that they don’t exist on other objects—specular highlights on dull surfaces tend to be just lighter shades of whatever the color of that object is.)
    This image is interesting to me not bc of the crane, but because of the array of specular highlights... The explanation of light reflecting off of how shiny or dull a sphere's surface is to create this effect boggles me bc why doesn't this happen generally to more of my BG's? Granted, I was shooting side lighting but what other properties are needed for this to occur and what determines the size of the specular highlight? Hmmm, well, help me understand please...

1Dx
    840mm
    ISO 2000
    1/1600
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 01-17-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Specular Highlights

Attached Images Attached Images

It's hard to say what those are in this image but they don't look like what I would call specular highlights. They look like bright spots. These specular highlights are sometimes created by spherical objects as you mentioned, but many times they are not. They are a direct result of the sun hitting an object and it reflecting its rays back at the sensor. These are usually for instance seen in water drops from splashes and in maybe drops of dew on a leaf. They also occur on wet rocks that aren't round or even on the wet bill of a duck or shore bird. They are similar to a catch light in the eye but can be cast even more when the light angle is off angle. Paul's image is a good example of a classic specular highlight, at least what I call it. Look at the catch light in the eye, high and to the left. Now look at the specular highlights in the wet grains of sand that are catching the sun. Same angle. Also look at the highlight on the bubble below, same light angle. They usually distort as they are sent back to the sensor.
    So in short, specular highlights are cast only by the sun and are usually associated with water or wet objects, at least in my experience. Let me know what you think the light spots are in your BG . Looks like light colored leaves.

Hope this helps
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ann,
    As we discussed last night, these are not specular highlights. I think it is the light shining through and on the leaves and in the spaces between the leaves.
    I would increase the exposure by a bit.
    The BG definitely provides for an unusual backdrop.
    I wish the head angle was a bit better but I like the call.
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not sure whether they are specular highlights or bright areas. As for the image, it has lots of problems: head turned away, difficult at best light angle, and distracting BKGR.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.