Thread: Meet Mum

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Meet Mum

Attached Images Attached Images

Can't remember if I have posted this or not, but this is Mum to the young cub I just posted and she was absolutely gorgeous. The termite mound was behind her where the young cub was ensconced. Shortly after taking the shot it was time to slowly put the camera down as she started to take an unhealthy interest in me, probably down to the reflection in the barrel of the lens.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Lion Mum (Panthera leo)
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
    Exposure: 1/1600s at f/5.6 ISO2500
    Original format: Landscape, very slight crop at the top, FF width
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

She is lovely, Steve. In her prime. And fills this frame so nicely! Stunning light on her face and those eyes are so beautiful. Wonderful detail and I love that golden fur.

Techs look good, nice composition and the termite mound makes for an interesting background.

Are you absolutely sure her interest in you was unhealthy? I think she saw an opportunity to become famous BTW this image would make a fine print, don't you think...

I really really enjoyed this, my cuppa! Thank you so much for sharing, Steve

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gabriela, just lucky that morning, but after seven days with this pride I was really getting to know them, but the light was really awesome, especially along the cut. Two hours later the two females took a Warthog down which the whole family feasted on, but it took over 10 minutes to finally cease the squealing.

Stunning light on her face and those eyes are so beautiful.
    All as per the file, no tweaking.

I was still trying to tweak the AF, think I got it right on this one, but this is why I never like to take a new body straight out, I like to test, assess, then it goes back to Canon with files to illustrate why, helps them too.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, that stunning light gave you such beautiful colour, detail, definition. So much easier to process images taken in good light - they need so little work So I believe you, no need for tweaking:)

Mmmmm...AF...I have the same settings on all four bodies, maybe I should look into this before my next trip. As well as the number of FPS...maybe I should "slow down" a little?

Chat soon... I must say your lioness here made me think of the "promised land" - only a month and a half to go and I will see my lions and leopards again, yay! Planning to go out early in the mornings and take advantage of that beautiful pink light...I miss the place so much!
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mmmmm...AF...I have the same settings on all four bodies, maybe I should look into this before my next trip. As well as the number of FPS...maybe I should "slow down" a little?
    Gabriela, there are as I think you know, some basic tests you can do yourself, I know Jon has and perhaps Andreas too? I know the 5D4 will front or back focus subject to the situation, the 1DX's (1 & 2's) back focused to different degrees and I know why there is the option for AFMA and Artie has highlighted it with Nikon. Just need to rule out a few things if we can with your kit, then choose a direction, but Firmware updates are very important as there is sometimes stuff that runs in the background which 'isn't' disclosed.

I must say your lioness here made me think of the "promised land" - only a month and a half to go and I will see my lions and leopards again, yay! Planning to go out early in the mornings and take advantage of that beautiful pink light...I miss the place so much!
    How wonderful, you will be in the warm so take advantage of each day and I shall be in the cold.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Light is sweet and a very nice view of this lion. Love the look she is giving you. Details look great.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic portrait of this beautiful lioness Steve. Those eyes are captivating. The light is sweet and details superb. Comp is fine as well. No nits!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cracking Portrait Steve , loved the light and the stare . Fantastic details as usual . I liked the techs and the framing of your subject against the mound makes a nice bkg. This is just great work on the field . Loved it .

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice detail and you have handled the shadows really well.I love the way the sun has hit the right eye.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve .... incredible IQ ...whatīs more to say
    Always a pleasure to see the fine detail being extracted . Well controlled exposure and HL/SH details ....
    Just works as presented .

TS Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Top notch Steve, the fur detail is rendered beautifully, I like the pose also it almost makes her become gentle and endearing to my POV. You made me go back looking for some lion images of my own - to the extent that I looked yesterday composed a post and I didn't send it - so sorry for the delay. I have no suggestions over how you could improve it, it just looks super well done.