Thread: Courting Ritual (bird's eye view)...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Courting Ritual (bird's eye view)...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R EF 400DO I f5.6 1/1300 ISO 2000
    Last edited by David Roach; 01-14-2019 at 05:17 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done for focusing on the rear bird. I like the intensity of the birds look and that you can see both eyes. A good look at the close relationship between these two birds. Are they a type of Heron?

3. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes David, they are great blue herons on a nest. They have an amazing set of displays as they interact during courtship. Almost all have to do with jutting out all that plumage. My earlier post also shows this behavior. Thanks as always for the comments and suggestions.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi David, this image doesn't work for me bc the front bird crowds the frame. Also, the rear bird's bill intersects, the blacks have a bluish cast and the bird lacks detail... Always a treat to observe their courting rituals.

6. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ann, First and foremost, thanks for your suggestions and comments. I arrived at Wako (Wakodahatchee Wetlands) two hours before sunset after my holiday hiatus from birding. Since the afternoon light is the only time to get this, the closest nest, I wanted to try for some different angles. If you have been to wako, this nest is right off the front gazebo in the closest pond apple island to the boardwalk. I had three fly ins by the male while I was there. This one was the last just before sunset and the light was soft due to filtering clouds. For the first few (i posted one earlier) I was at the back(of the gazebo) as far as I could get from the nest. You can see in the previous post, I got the front bird parallel to the sensor and got much detail in the head and neck and loved capturing the interaction in a more intimate range. For this image I was 15ft closer. I was close. Since I was to their side, I knew I wanted to get the back birds face during this interaction. I also needed to boost ISO a little as it was getting close to sundown. This is the classic behavior where male flies in, stretches very high and female stretches up to meet his bill then they bend their necks down together with bills touching to form a heart shape (what you would see and what I've imaged many times if you were to the left and further away). I knew the DOF would be very narrow, so I kept that focus box right between the eyes at the base of the bill. On this frame(in the sequence), I hit it perfectly and her face was clear. So, yes, everything but those eyes and the bills is OOF by design. But they are still part of the story. You can blame Artie for the part where I only need the eyes in focus. One of the first things I learned many years ago from reading his classic book. I did add slightly to the blues to get those lores and it was getting darker. Most likely the reason for the blue cast. This explanation is not to defend, just to let you know what I was thinking. I know I broke some rules (big thing OOF in foreground), but I like the result of a very intimate view of this moment. Thanks again for your inputs.
    Peace,
    David
    Last edited by David Roach; 01-14-2019 at 04:36 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it. This is something you don't see everyday. Breeding plumage is nice. You should have entered this for the theme.

9. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the focus on the rear bird. If the bills did not overlap you would have been famous. Still very lacking in FFD ....

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    I love the focus on the rear bird. If the bills did not overlap you would have been famous. Still very lacking in FFD ....

with love, artie
    Hi Artie, FFD?
    Still searching for the non-mediocre.
    Peace,
    David

Threads
    Thank You Posts

FFD: fine feather detail :)

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.