Thread: Elephant Seal bull roaring

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Elephant Seal bull roaring

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks thought i would throw something into the mix .... that has not been posted for a very long while .
    This image was taken on South Georgia Island in 2012 during my epic trip to that area ....landing site was St. Andrews Bay .
    This bull was just roaring and i was close , so i took the chance and got his roar and the hot breath coming out of his throat .

For sure maybe not the IQ as with the latest kit ....LOL.... but think it came out nicely , well at least for me.

Canon EOS 1D MK III
    EF 500 IS L
    Tripod

F 8 ; Iso 400 ; 1/640 sec ..... what kinda techs

Processed with DPP and PSCC 2019 ; flipped ( rarely do this ) and slightly cropped from RHS ;

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great timing to get the breath. At first I thought it a bit flat, but the blacks do go deep in the eye , which is really good with the red and pink. Snout looks verging on crunchy, but could be downsizing. Nice one.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Canon EOS 1D MK III
    Cracking image Andreas, the MKIII not to be knocked and in fact, actually beats some of the more higher px rated cameras now.

I like the blood stained battle scars, breath and that menacing eye. Snout looks cool and almost has a 3D effect, overall the image has retained a lot of the finer detail which adds to the overall richness of the capture. Having the contrast between the light backdrop and the cooler darkish tones of the subject all work well. Techs, well good for it's time, the ISO wasn't so forgiving in lower light, but in good conditions it delivered some outstanding images, so no probs on the techs. Glad you got the whole mouth in shot and not clipped the lower half.

Works fo me.

TFS
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great to me, colours composition and details, regarding the techs, hey they work!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

regarding the techs, hey they work!
    Hey Jon, when you work through the digital bodies from the EOS 1D MKII, you can appreciate each upgrade and what you can now capture and achieve, but I still can't help but think of my first camera - Canon F1, but wouldn't now go back.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is awesome Andreas, and pretty sharp for 1/640s!
    Well framed and good choice of DoF. And by all means a very powerful image from the content POV

Lovely work Boetie, well processed too, I like it as presented

Have a wonderful week-end,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela , Greg , Jon and Steve for your kind comments , much appreciate your comments .
    I am glad you like it

Greg - to me the image is not flat at all , just my take . I think Steve has summed it up well ....

Jon - the old files are still usable , and become even better with todays (my) knowledge , editing skills and views .

Steve - you must be an old guy ...LOL... if you are still thinking of the famous F1 .... i started with the A1 , lost track of Canon for a while , and then came back with the EOS 1 and 5 ....man that is many moons ago . Thanks for your kind words really appreciate them ....after uploading i see even more slight potential for the 3D head in terms of tonality , but i think it is ok for the moment .

Thanks again ....Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve - you must be an old guy ...LOL...
    Guess I must be, but then where does that put you -'Ancient', but I think we are about the same? Gabriela will tell you if you need to know... Think we have been on identical paths re camera bodies, a great learning curve, would love to see some folk shooting with film .

Jon - the old files are still usable , and become even better with todays (my) knowledge , editing skills and views .
    Something I have been saying for a long time Andreas, but only providing the file has been correctly exposed with good techs.

after uploading i see even more slight potential for the 3D head in terms of tonality , but i think it is ok for the moment .
    I think it's fine as I said, it already has a good 3D feel, however you could perhaps create a bit more with some Alpha channel layers/masks, but then you are perhaps in danger of going the other way - not ideal.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ancient? You are as young as you feel
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve we are not too far apart ...in terms of old, older or ancient ....., so should be no big deal if someone calls us old . There always folks that are younger , fitter , nicer , older , less fit or less attractive .... than ourselves .....!

Always fun in between to browse through old folders , that has not been opened for a longer time.

Regarding the 3D feel .... i had the channel thing in mind , with just some blending , via Apply Image , for sure at low opacity and being brushed in locally . Bet some folks see a lot of .....???? .... when i talk about that .

Ancient? You are as young as you feel...... true Gabriela ..... at the moment i feel partially older , as i told you . LOL Or better said ...worn out in parts
    Last edited by Andreas Liedmann; 01-11-2019 at 02:41 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

With age come wisdom and knowledge

If you feel like it, have a look at my first post on BPN Wildlife, back in 2013: http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ion-and-Action

Maybe I should do an RP on that lion, WDYT?
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 01-11-2019 at 03:28 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looking good. Like the breath. This is spot on for me. Nice detail interesting subject.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela ... go and revisit
    The post was quite typical for south african photogs ....LOL .... wonder that you not created it with warmer tones , or used a warming filter in the lens

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Gabriela ... go and revisit
    The post was quite typical for south african photogs ....LOL .... wonder that you not created it with warmer tones , or used a warming filter in the lens

I will revisit, LOL. Never use filters BTW. Cannot remember what I did in PP...Used to flatten the layers in those days
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will never forget .... my talking

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very late on this Andreas but really would like to say that this is an amazing image , loved the details and the breath , the scars are adding to the look of the subject . Brilliantly done .

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Incredible fine detail and IQ....Very Nice!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Haseeb and Dumay for your kind comments