Thread: Arrow Head !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Arrow Head !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone . Thank you for all your comments and suggestions to my previous post, as always much appreciated.

Posting an image of the very good looking tigress Arrow Head from Ranthambore. Saw her resting in a marshy area in some very soft light, though the foliage around her was making it difficult to get a clear shot but some improvisation like standing high on the narrow bar of the jeep with the support of the driver and the positioning of the jeep led to this shot.

Removed some off distracting elements from the bkg and an oof grass blade below the left nostril area.

DPP 4.8, PS CC 2019, WB, hsl, curves, levels, selective colour, NR, sharpening, cropped from the top and from bottom.

Canon 1DX MK II, Canon 500mm f4 IS II, HH.

ss 1/1600, f/5.6, iso 3200.

Looking forward for all your comments and suggestions be it of any nature.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Arrowhead, she certainly is an awesome lady and ultimately, a great predator and superb mother.

You did well to get her lying down, the encounters I had was when she was always mobile, as Zone 3 is her territory and guards it fiercely, but it's such a magical location.

OK, for me I feel you just ran out of DoF based on the nose to eyes, the eyes are just tailing off I think, they just lack the sharpness and detail you achieved in the nose. Again, having been there last month and shooting with two great guys, I would say f/11 and drop the SS. I've been back and forth on stuff and again, with hindsight, tweaking stuff and going back to some older ways on techs, so I think it's just toggling with setting Haseeb, but I do appreciate time has not been on your side. I can see why you chose a faster SS based on you position, but I then may have gone to ISO6400, kept the SS and upped the DoF a bit more. I love that stare and slight cocked ear signifying, 'don't mess with me' look Overall it looks a bit bright and the whites appear to have little tone in them, so I might just back off on the exposure perhaps somewhere between a third & two thirds of a stop and maybe with the adjustment brush burn back some of the key areas to see if there is any more detail there. Obviously I'm making assumption on this Haseeb and not the raw so I could be off.

Lets see what others saw, but as an option I think going tighter may also be an option, however take a look at the file and the masking, there is something odd on the RH whiskers as viewed, perhaps some NR left over?

I do hope Haseeb you get a chance to go back for further opportunities and the book also inspires you too, for some creative framing etc.

TFS
    Steve

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the look in the tigers eyes. The light looks nice and i like the background.

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you Steve and John.

@Steve : I should have gone for atleast 7.1 which i did later on in the same sighting but not that a pleasing frame it was. Also the fp was right on the nose , whereas in the next frame it was slightly on the eye and the nose so both the areas are sharp but the expression was not so good . So, i guess in this instance proper positioning of fp would have got bot things sharp instead of stopping down to f 7.1 . But it was very difficult to balance and hence the mistake.

Also sorted that whisker issue.

Here is a RP based on your suggestions. WDYT ?
    Last edited by haseeb badar; 01-10-2019 at 01:51 AM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Personally I think it's better Haseeb, but hopefully others will chime in with their thoughts rather than just one or two.

FP on the bridge of the nose maybe slightly below or inline with the eyes. F/7.1 I'm hesitant, I think more to get everything in focus with a portrait like this, remember a third in front, two thirds back.

But it was very difficult to balance and hence the mistake.
    Very try Haseeb.

8. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was impressed with pane #1 but pane #4 does show better detail in the whites on the forehead, very impressive image, I really like the colours, you must have been close to get such good details. I agree greater DOF would have been beneficial.

10. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great pose, great color. For the portrait you really need the eyes the sharpest part of the frame, as she is looking at you. Given how prominent the nose and whiskers are, I think for this image you want them sharp too, OK to go off to the ears. So a bit more DOF, and try to get the focus point right on the eye.

12. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Steve , Jon and Greg .

@ Greg : agree with your opinion as to getting the eyes sharp and placement of fp, will remember this for future shots .

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Such a beauty, Haseeb! POV is great and does a lot for this image, eye contact is superb with those penetrating eyes.

I like the RP more in terms of colour as well as composition, just thinking...since the IQ is good you might consider taking off some more from the LHS? A pity indeed to lose some of that powerful body but my feeling is, the impact would be greater if you got closer.

Won't mention DoF again as the issue has already been discussed. I absolutely love the detail on the muzzle and that pink nose. Can we have some more, please? You must have lots of images of this beauty

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

15. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gabriela , the IQ can certainly stand a tighter crop , will try and see.
    There are still a few Tiger images left in the bag but won’t last long unless I get to see Tigers again.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb well she looks big and well fed ....really massive looking in this position .
    Crop , tone and colors are working well as presented , nice detail extracted around the nose ... well the fall off is not ideal and i bet you would have preferred more DOF or focused on the eyes .
    Good to see that you have separated her well from the BG ....

Watch your workflow ...no profile attached ..... and i think the blacks are quite strong in parts , IMHO .

TFS Andreas

18. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, a wonderful looking tiger for sure and in good condition. I have seen her as well in Dec 2017. You did well to get high and get the shot! Good PP working I like the RP better. The FP and DOF issues aside a nice one Haseeb.

20. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post