Thread: Turnstone

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Turnstone

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all,

A turnstone taken at the shore on a pretty overcast and really windy day, hence the techs.

Camera: Nikon D500
    Lens: 300 PF
    Specs: 1/1600 f/4 ISO 2,000.

Thanks for looking and commenting on prior posts!
    Alex
    Last edited by Alex Becker; 01-08-2019 at 08:19 PM. Reason: I included the 1.4 TC by mistake, this was just bare 300mm

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful Image. Love the Colors on the Bird as well as the moses.

Open Bill add a lot to the image.

Excellent all round.

Can you check the specs, if you have 1.4x TCIII then the aperture should be f/5.6 right ?

TFS

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Alex, agree with Krishna, great colours and the open bill is a killer, just wished for a bit more DoF for the legs as you had the SS, nice one.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the open bill, BG and sharp where it needs to be. Nice image Alex.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. Open bill is a bonus. Nice low angle as well. Like the green on the rocks.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all, in hind sight a tad more DOF as mentioned would have helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Krishna Prasad kotti View Post

Can you check the specs, if you have 1.4x TCIII then the aperture should be f/5.6 right ?
    Krishna, sloppy copy and pasting on my end, this was taken without the 1.4 TC, so it was at f/4, but the focal length was just 300mm.

Best,

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi alex, I like this young one, and agree with more dof for those feet. Open beak calling is great.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice pose with open beak helping the image come alive. Colours look good and I like the seaweed covered rock as the base. DOF already covered.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love getting so close to these guys on the jetty. I am heading there Friday afternoon if you want to come and meet up. You got a nice pose here and love the open beak. The out of focus rock on the lower right is distracting for me. Also the colors of the whole shot are too thin which is typical of how these sensors handle the flat light. I would for sure build it up a bit and add more depth to the bird and the rocks.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all, appreciated. I'll look at building some depth back up -- I did the auto-tone at 20% opacity trick but could bump that up likely. Isaac, won't be able to head down tomorrow, but I'm aiming to make multiple trips there this winter so hopefully we can meet up at some point this season.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the image with the open bill. I disagree with those who want the feet sharp but only 100%. Here's why. Assuming a distance of ten feet -- heck, you might have been closer than that, d-o-f at f/4 would be about 1/2 inch in front of and behind the point of focus. Stopping down to f/16 would raise that to 1.8 inches in front of and behind the point of focus. The distance from the bird's eye to its feet is about double that. And that is not taking into account that the bird is angled toward you effectively moving the feet even farther from the plane of focus. Good bye pleasing background at f/16. Heck, let's try f/32 ....

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

12. Thanks Alex Becker thanked for this post