Thread: African Fish Eagle - ISO 10k

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default African Fish Eagle - ISO 10k

Attached Images Attached Images

Another image taken from the same hide as the Egret posting, but this was at the last knockings of light. I wasn't expecting the subject to be as close as it was and so it was on the minimum focus (200mm). I've left the lighter highlights in as I felt the BKG would have looked too sterile, likewise I have not extended the RHS.

Thanks to those who both viewed and more importantly, commented.

Steve

Subject: African Fish Eagle (Haliaeetus vocifer)
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 200-400f/4 Gitzo tripod, Flexline ball head
    Exposure: 1/160s at f/4 ISO10,000
    Original format: Portrait, very small crop from the top, FF width
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Notes:
    - Shot through approx 1.5 inch glass
    - The subject is fully wild and completely unconstrained. Nothing has been done to intentionally alter or affect the ongoing behaviour of the subject and, of course, there has been no use of any form of bait or other form of
    wildlife attractants (including vocalisations) in the capture of this image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Steve. I love the pose, setting and details. I like the BG as is. It does feel a bit tight on the RHS. Beautiful IQ at ISO 10k and through the glass. Looks like a very cool location. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Alex, how are you doing, anything exciting on the horizon?

The image has many flaws, too tight LHS, ISO and the main issue - shooting through glass, but even with the limitations, folks can still achieve getting images at a reasonable quality. If the image is exposed well, dealing with the ISO is not an issue these days, don't be put off, but I know you are not .

All the best
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It has flaws from a compositional viewpoint but as a technical exercise and a beautiful reference to an African Fish eagle it is hard to beat, you really have captured the colours and detail exceptionally well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Shooting constraints and resultant flaws noted, but a nice pose from this majestic eagle, and a good example of what you can do at 10K..

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys.

a good example of what you can do at 10K..
    Spot on Bill, I just wanted to highlight that even with - less than ideal techs, location restraints and hi ISO's, occasionally we shouldn't just think we can capture something because of these elements. We could in fact surprise ourselves and capture, a cracking image that we might have let slip through our hands, or is that shutter?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The low and angle and reflection are nice. The diffused light brings out the details very nicely.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Alex, how are you doing, anything exciting on the horizon?

The image has many flaws, too tight LHS, ISO and the main issue - shooting through glass, but even with the limitations, folks can still achieve getting images at a reasonable quality. If the image is exposed well, dealing with the ISO is not an issue these days, don't be put off, but I know you are not .

All the best
    Steve
    Pretty well! Some interesting stuff coming together for this spring / summer -- aiming to do bears in BC and then African wildlife in Mozambique as my girlfriend does her research there. Might try to head down to Kruger as well after if time allows. So should get a number of fun opportunities this year. Definitely agree re: high ISO, it's worth pushing to get the capture, especially in situations like there where folks may be tempted to pack up. Best,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Some interesting stuff coming together for this spring / summer -- aiming to do bears in BC
    Hi Alex, great, Bears are top notch, drop me a line who you are using, especially if it's working with BH in BC.

Might try to head down to Kruger as well after if time allows.
    Again, let me know, but I'm more up to speed on Botswana, however if you are in Jo'Berg then you have to hook up with Stu B, he's a BPN institution and a real must!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, Zimanga certainly produced the goods here. Excellent close up and achieving a full decent reflection too. The low light has really helped with the whites as they are difficult in good light. All round detail and colours spot on too. Well captured.

Did he give a call. As you know, one of the most majestic calls from the African bush and unmistakable too.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Zimanga certainly produced the goods here.
    Hi Bud, it just depends, it was beneficial for me in other ways, but I won't go out of my way if I'm honest and doubt I would go back, the real saving grace was to see Gabriela.

one of the most majestic calls from the African bush and unmistakable too.
    Yep , you heard the calls for sure before he arrived, but the cheeky bugger kept flying onto the roof and then off. I did have the 24-70f/2.8 with the other MK2 on the twin shooter so all I had to do was move my head, but still at the narrowest of zooms he was still too small in frame, hence sticking with the 200-400.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very good evening to you, Steve:)
    I so enjoyed meeting with you and Alison at Zimanga, hope we do this again sometime

Been to this location a few times in the past but never had the opportunity to photograph a Fish Eagle. I think you were very lucky

Not sure I told you, first time I went there I took my 500mm lens...It was too long and therefore too close to the window, had to remove the comfy chair and glue my back to the wall. Got a few close ups of warthogs and vervet monkeys and photographed a number of avian species, eventually decided to exit the hide and go get my 300 lens... On my return I was told I missed out on a leopard male who came to drink.

Back to your frame, I think it is very well exposed and the colours are superb. POV as well as reflection make this image for me. HA is great. Having such an uncluttered BG helps bring out the subject beautifully. Looks great for 1/160s and high ISO did not harm the image one bit, wonderful work

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This one looks pretty good to me regardless of the circumstances. I would have preferred a bit more head turn toward us.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.