Thread: Dancing Bear Cub

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Dancing Bear Cub

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ...wanted to post something other than a bear , but then decided to post one more .

So here you go , a mother with two cubs on the shore of Kuril Lake on Kamtchatka , they did what al bears did !! Feasting on the salmon .... those mothers with really small cubs were quite nervous , due to other bears and mostly did not stay very long at the locations . But very funny to look at .

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 500 IS L II + 1,4 TC
    Tripod

F 5,6 ; Iso 1000 ; 1/2000 sec ; man exp and Auto Iso . Well i could have afforded more DOF ...looking with hindsight at the given Iso .
    Image slightly too dark ...during exposure due to operator error ...well nobody is perfect .

Processed with DPP and PS CC 2019 , slight crop from top and RHS to 90 % of FF

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, this by far for me is your best image from the trip!

The framing is a bit tight at the foot, it needs more to act as a 'platform' I feel for the bears to stand on. Definitely more DoF as I guess the LH cub is closer to the viewer, but focus was on Mum, so I would go back to f/11 and the BKG would have zero consequence due to distance and kit IMHO. Too dark, perhaps a fraction on the cubs, but the cool part is the rays of light on Mum and the gold strands in her coat. Here I'm just wondering if you may have been better with a slightly elevated POV so the feet were in view, but again, with hindsight. Cool colour palette.

The image needs to be viewed at a distance and not 2ft away to appreciate the overall capture, however the light streak on the LHS has to go, distracting and would, I feel, help the image.

those mothers with really small cubs were quite nervous , due to other bears and mostly did not stay very long at the locations . But very funny to look at .
    Especially if there is a male around, he will kill the cubs so she will flee at any sign, so get the food and go. The interaction of young cubs is priceless and often mischievous, can be fun if it's brother & sister.

I'm a sucker for Bears, especially with cubs, well done.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looking very good. Love how the bear's are soaking wet. The pose on the left cub is sure quite unique. It does kinda look like it is a bout to bust a move. Very nice.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, so glad you posted this, it put a big smile on my face! Seen bears standing before but never such a funny pose

I think you processed very well and extracted some good detail in the little ones' coat. Mommy bear is stunning...

Yes, more DoF would have been great. And as Steve noted, more space at the bottom of the frame would have been ideal. But we all know how fast things can happen "out there"

Love the content of this frame, the interaction, colours look great. BG is awesome ( save for that white line in front of Mommy Bear, I find it a little distracting Boetie).

Have you any more stunners from this trip? Please share! I truly enjoyed viewing, I am sure I'll be back to look again, just cannot take my eyes of those cubs

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve , John and Gabriela for your kind comments .

Steve & Gabriela - agree a bit more on the foot would have been better . Disagree about the white line with both of you , no distraction that i should care about . And the cubs are that dark in real life , so no need for adding some light into their furs . I have taken many images of some mothers with cubs .... sadly a lot of them are already somewhere in the bin . Due to technical distractions .

Thanks again , Andreas

6. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is really great... cute dancing pose from one, the other little one looking in your direction, and the blood on the snouts. Doesn't look too dark to me.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's a gem Andreas! The processing looks spot on to me, colours and definition leave little to be desired from my point of view. The wet fur of the cubs does indeed look dark, but that is because it is! The pale stripe looks entirely natural from my point of view, I too would have left it, sometimes the background can be made to look a little too perfect.
    I really do get the impression that the DPP processing in your hands is optimal

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Greg and Jon ...your comments are much appreciated .

Special thanks to Jon for the DPP thing ..... well as always trying to get the best out of the tools i have , not always working LOL . What would i give to have DPP with the Capture One options ........... i would say a lot !!!!

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

One of your recent best for sure here Andreas ,

the BG is what it is but agree with the above comments and the look from all three really enhance the whole scene.

TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, I agree with Marc, this is one of your best images I have seen recently. Lovely details and a great pose on all three. It looks as though Mother Bear is enjoying watching her cub dancing. Very nice indeed...Even Goldilocks would be proud of this

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hats off Andreas , this is an exceptional frame , just loved everything about it . You best from the trip thus far . Superbly done .

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Marc , Will and Haseeb for your kind comments , much appreciated .

Cheers Andreas