Thread: Posturing Hippo

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Posturing Hippo

Attached Images Attached Images

Having gone down to the dam to prep for some backlit stuff, the small pod of hippos decided to make their presence known. This one just surfaced and caught Peter & I a little unaware, otherwise I might have gone for some more DoF ie f/11 and moved the FP a tad more and ISO to 6400 for a fraction more SS. Shot lying down on the ground, not ideal with the ticks and flies that inhabited the shoreline.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Hippo (Hippopotamus amphibius) surfacing & posturing
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 500f/4 MKII with 1.4Ext MKIII HH
    Exposure: 1/1250s at f/7.1 ISO5000
    Original format: Landscape, very slight crop all round except on the LHS
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ... the swell of water is great , not too much distracting due to the form that was created be the hippo .
    All does work nicely together for me.IQ good as expected ( at least at this size ) ... tonal range and contrast are bang on in the subject !!! Nice job .
    Not sure why you want more DOF ... think it is just right .
    All in all well done ...I do really like the low POV created .Well worth the ticks .
    TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Andreas.

FP needed to be one notch up, closer to the eye, but was conscious of the bow wave and spray and so I didn't want it to lock onto that and not the subject.

Why greater DoF, because of the yawn, trying to think one step ahead, (predicting...) as often folk will focus/lock, down the throat and so the front of the mouth is OOF. Light constantly changing, ISO from 3200 - 6400 so also just being mindful of the techs and dynamic range. Like you, having the 1.4 works for one image, but with the yawn a wee bit tight, so it's a compromise as we have discussed on your recent Bear image.

IQ good as expected ( at least at this size )
    The yawning imaged posted a while back at ISO6400 prints out exceptionally well at A3, with zero noise, boosted the funds for the 5D4.

Thanks.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice view of the hippo. Like the shooting angle and the splashing water as well. The head looks enormous here.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is really awesome, Steve! I especially like the colours and that "copper" tinge on the hippo's hide. As well as those skin folds. Very well taken, superb timing.

Composition is great and there's just enough space around the subject. Well exposed. I too think DoF is about enough here.

As John remarked, the shooting angle highlights the size of the subject's head in this frame. Adult hippos are truly enormous.

And Steve, hope you did not get any tick bites while taking this shot. And no grasshoppers crawled into your socks, LOL

I so enjoyed viewing, many thanks for sharing,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the tonal expression, the detail and colours are excellent. Composition looks pretty much ideal, the dicing with ticks is ok if you get away with it, I am not too sure if I would risk it now, I am sure I would have in previous years.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The head looks enormous here.
    John - they are.

And Steve, hope you did not get any tick bites while taking this shot. And no grasshoppers crawled into your socks, LOL
    All good from my perspective Gabriela, as a knowledgeable Pharmacist ensured I had the correct med kits with me for just such an event . Remind me to tell you a funny story, whist I was there!!!

the dicing with ticks is ok if you get away with it, I am not too sure if I would risk it now, I am sure I would have in previous years.
    Jon, lying down anywhere can invite dangers, you just have to think 'damage limitations' and weigh up ALL the risks involved, but I'm always constantly worried about snakes when I'm out there. You too will also need to think when you & Pam go away later in the year...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Steve...Love the details and colours on the hippo's hide. The splashing water brings the image alive..Great POV. I like it a lot, well done.

Will

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

All good from my perspective Gabriela, as a knowledgeable Pharmacist ensured I had the correct med kits with me for just such an event . Remind me to tell you a funny story, whist I was there!!!

You made me curious, please drop me an email with the story
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, excellent eye level perspective, and just love the action captured here. The detail on the Hippo's hide shows up really well, and overall, very sharp too - Light in the right place. The layered BG works well, and this certainly shows up how large these magnificent animals are. Not to be messed with face to face.