18-200MM @ 18mm
    1/250
    F-8

Your comments please...Terry Johnson

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Terry

Happy new year. This is a pretty nice image of a pretty common subject.. I think you have captured well the grandeur of the scene and the boat gives a nice sense of scale. Well done. I would have preferred to see the image wider if possible, so all the river and shoreline vegetation formed a continuous arc. It has obviously been cropped to square, maybe you have image available to re-crop??... A polarizing filter would also make the colours pop a bit more and help with the reflection off the water bottom of screen... Finally, the distant ridgeline has a faint halo which may be a result of masking.. If so a bit more feathering of the mask could eliminate this.. Would like to hear your thoughts on my image..

Don

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with Don's suggestions for improvement. Did you use a Shadow/Highlight adjustment on this scene? It looks as though you may have and perhaps a heavy handed use of it which has created a rather flat scene that is lacking contrast to really make it pop.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andrew, I did use a filter, however, I reduced the contrast as it seemed rather harsh to me. I will review the image further and may reprocess the image leaving the contrast as it was. If I do, I will repost,

Thanks for your input...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A beautiful scene but I agree that something looks funky ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.