Thread: Nice old 'unit'

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Nice old 'unit'

Attached Images Attached Images

We watched the heard for a while and tried to second guess where they might head too. Whilst keeping all options open, this nice old Tusker slowly and gently walked towards us, tracking him with the 200-400 I quickly realised it was time to swop the 100-400 that was i the footwell to a more 'appropriate' lens - the 16-35f/2.8 as he just kept coming and coming and coming, to a point where he was just filling the frame, I could just reach out and touch him.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: African elephant
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 16-35mm f/2.8 MKII
    Exposure: 1/1600s at f/9 ISO3200
    Original format: Portrait, almost FF
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very good evening to you, Steve

I have just returned from my magic spot in the wilderness. Been thinking how beneficial such a break can be, for someone with my lifestyle. Going home I drove through the reserve very slowly. Left my camera gear behind so was just scanning the views and not looking for anything in particular: not for predators, not for antelope, not even for memories. My motive was simple and rather hedonistic: I was looking for beauty

Not far from the stone house I came upon two old Tuskers ( just like yours here) so I pulled off the road and turned off the engine. It was so quiet out there, save for the sound of the elephants pulling bunches of grass out of the ground. The sky was blue and peppered with clouds... like in your image

Love your frame, it is not only well captured and beautifully processed, it also brings to mind the experience I had earlier today. I remember looking at the sky and saying to myself "the landscape is lovely, eles are awesome, but really if I were to grab the scene and process, I must remember: it is the shade of blue that counts".

Those are my thoughts as I am viewing this lovely frame tonight. Been saying all along that photography and works of art often influence where I would like to travel to. Your frame is a little different, for it just made me realise how precious and amazing my own environment is. And how lucky I am to live in this part of the world, despite its many problems

Thank you Steve for sharing, I took great pleasure viewing

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Almost full frame and 16-35mm lens - wow some experience that must have been. Lovely shot Steve the hide looks well rendered as do the well worn tusks, the background surroundings make for a great image.
    I wonder did you ever get any images of elephants with their eyes visible, on reflection I don't think I got one when I went to Kruger!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sounds like quite the experience. You were very close to this big guy. Nice detail and sharpness. Really like those clouds.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John, just put s CPL FILTER on, job done.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- Top notch IQ as always , and some very different framing here , which I really liked. Excellent details in the subject and the clouds are a nice addition as well. Colours have come out nicely .

All in all a very nice frame.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ..well always special to have an elephant passing by at that close range , and one can use wide angle !!!!
    Like this a lot , technically well executed in the darkroom and i do like the reddish hide .
    Might darken the sky a fraction ...from my POV .

Very nice one ....
    TFS Andreas