Thread: Keeping An Eye On Things

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Keeping An Eye On Things

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all - I know I have been scarce lately and want to apologize but I started a new job fairly recently and as a result have not had as much time for BPN, photography and pp. It is for this reason that I decided to step down as a moderator in the Wildlife Forum. I hope to still swing by and comment and post on occasion but I know I won't be able to do so with the same frequency as I have in the past. I value the friends that I have made on BPN and intend to stay in touch. I also thank each of the regular contributors for teaching me and helping me grow as a photographer. Wishing you a all a very happy holiday season and a happy, healthy and photographic 2019 with great light.

Canon 5D3
    100-400 II @ 400mm
    1/1000
    f5.6
    ISO 3200
    HH from safari vehicle, we were shooting eles on the opposite side of the waterhole when this one decided to lumber in and drink on our side. I had to be creative given the angle and decided to convert to B&W in ACR and go somewhat high key. Cropped to 4x5 proportion, levels, curves, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome Back! I like this one. Has a fine art feel to it. You can just see enough of the eye to make it work. Plenty of space for the elephant to look into. Good luck at new job.

3. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, I would like to see the colour version too for comparison, as the conversion sadly isn't really grabbing me. The ear I find being lighter & vertical cuts the head in two and I would expect the bulge above the eye to be tonally as dark, not lighter being on the same plane of focus???? I like the eye being open and the space to the LHS.

TFS
    Steve

5. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it...Especially the negative space open the left. Only thing I would do is add more contrast and much for my personal taste. But it's 'Personal'!!!

7. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks John and Steve. Steve , as with most of my b&w these days, I have not processed this in color.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dumay - We were posting at the same time. Thanks, I purposely kept contrast a bit lower to lean towards a traditional high key frame. But yes, I can see a version with more contrast too.

Thanks,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have not processed this in color.
    I would, be nice to see the options.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel ... sorry to hear you are no longer one of the mods , but congrats to the new job . Hope you become successful with it .
    Regarding the image ... i like this very much !!!!
    Different view and thinking ... !!!! I would just see the tonality different from my POV , more tonal depth across the range .
    The visible eye is a real bummer , love it.

TFS Andreas

12. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Rachel,

First of all, I hope you and your dear ones have a wonderful festive season Very glad to see you post, I have no doubt that you will participate on BPN as often as time allows and look forward to your contribution in the future.

I find this frame to be original and somewhat unusual, and completely agree with Andreas regarding your OOTB thinking IMO a vertical would have also worked well. Love the open eye and those faint waves in the BG - the ele must have been drinking. HA is great. I too wish for more tonal depth but reading your intro I understand you chose a more high-key look.

Hope you find some time to process this in colour. As well as surprise us with some Bear images - you must have more in your folders, I am sure we haven't seen all of them?
    Wishing you success in everything you do, and that includes your new job

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

14. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post