Thread: White-tail buck

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White-tail buck

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park on 11/25/18 at 1:44PM. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Full frame.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    388mm
    ISO 800
    f9.0
    1/1250sec

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely framed capture, I quite like the colours, the left side of the face is in shade, I think I would brighten it just a little. What's going on in the left ear, have ticks been feasting??

3. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello John!

Those guys are posing so nicely for you! I like the POV here, great techs, really nice DoF Antlers stand out so nicely against the BG.

Lovely colours and textures and sharpness is there in good measure. I agree with Jon, the shadow area could be a tad brighter.

Very nice framing, FG a bit busy but nothing you could do to change that. Overall a pleasant image and I enjoyed viewing, thank you so much for sharing!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

5. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, I like the framing and the fact you have a clean backdrop for the rack to have 'standout'. At f/9 I would say there is enough DoF to get all the key elements in, but judging on the rack I think f/11 would have been better as the lower half of the rack appears 'with detail' but not the clarity/sharpness, again I question if the camera is front/rear focusing. John, mine was definitely out when I tested it and am now collecting it tomorrow from Canon with respective lenses, Jon A's was too. The face looks crunchy and with a high amount of Contrast and so I have the feeling the raw isn't quite sharp and so more sharpening has been applied, John perhaps you can clarify. With regard to the red on the RH ear as viewed, I think it's an ear tag, the red is pillar box red and so I would rule out any ticks. Overall I like the colour palette.

John if you want to fire over the raw then happy to look at it.

TFS
    Steve

7. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post