Thread: Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl (cactus subspecies)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl (cactus subspecies)

Attached Images Attached Images

Cactus Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl (Glaucidium brasilianum cactorum), Arizona, December 16, 2018.
    The Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl is a small owl that breeds in southern Arizona southward to Central and South America. In the United States, this species is limited to southern Texas, where it can be found on the large bird-friendly ranches, and Arizona. The Arizona "cactus" subspecies has suffered a steep decline in recent years, and was listed as endangered from 1997-2006. This subspecies occupies old woodpecker cavities, and utilizes these cavities as nests. Recent estimates put the population of this bird in Arizona at about 20 individuals.

Given this bird's history and scarcity, it was extremely rewarding to find an occupied nest of this subspecies in 2016, as part of my successful effort to photograph all 19 regularly-occurring owls in the United States in one year. However, I did not get a "classic" photograph of the owl in the saguaro, so to find this individual in a saguaro yesterday with a good friend of mine was pure jubilation, and essentially completed a years-long pursuit of this bird. I do want to return and get him looking directly at me. But I definitely won't complain about getting an image like this of a bird like this, one of my favorites. This appears to be a BPN-first of this subspecies.

I love the feather above and to the right of the hole.

Techs:
    Nikon D750
    Nikkor 600mm f4 AF-S I (broken, AF is spotty and causes me to miss a lot of shots, I think it's something wrong with the electrical contacts communicating with the camera. It won't autofocus with the 1.4xTC at all)
    1/800
    ISO 500
    f4 (should have gone to f8 or 9, but I was shooting this guy in a busy background and he just flew up into his hole. He remained there for only 30 seconds. I didn't think to change, just reacted.)
    tripod mounted
    Last edited by Walker Noe; 12-17-2018 at 02:54 PM.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Walker there appears to be a slight problem with your post, I will see if someone can fix it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done and mazel tov. I am puzzled as to why the stuff below the center of the hole is so o-o-f while the stuff above the hole is in focus ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

4. Thanks Walker Noe thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The owl is perfectly positioned here. Nice to see one with out flash.

6. Thanks Walker Noe thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow congrats! You really are an owl whisperer!!
    I think that the stuff below the hole is a bit OOF because you were shooting upwards??
    I would go back with a step ladder so you can shoot nearer to eye level.
    I too, love that wayward feather.
    If this is not a big crop, I would come in from the right and left side to make it more of a vertical.
    Well done Noe!!

8. Thanks Walker Noe thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think it must be something peculiar to my PC but this particular post does not view correctly, the text is hidden in the background and the image is not clear - though I am sure it must be in actuality. I hope I will see it correctly later on today.

10. Thanks Walker Noe thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, Everything looks fine from here :) Maybe Dan can figure something out.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

12. Thanks Walker Noe thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I know how hard this bird is in Arizona so hats off Walker. Very unique shot of this species in the US. Considering the crop it held up well. Super job Mr. Owl Whisperer.

14. Thanks Walker Noe thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Walker, an interesting place to have a home/nest. Good eye contact, and he looks nice and comfy in the cactus.

16. Thanks Walker Noe thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hard to come by and you captured this great little owl in its home. Kudos! I like the lone feather as well. Overall the owl looks a bit oversharpened, crunchy...