Av(Aperture Value) 8.0
    Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
    Exposure Compensation +2/3
    ISO Speed 6400
    Auto ISO Speed ON
    Lens EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x III
    Focal Length 700.0mm

DPP+ PS2019

Just for a change I used DPP. A significant crop to around 10-11MP.

Image taken from my back garden hide, my main reservation is the softness of the wings due to a lack of DOF, at this distance f11 would offer little additional DOF.
    All C&C welcome.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image with the perfect over-the-shoulder head turn, a nice perch, and a sweet background. And an excellent self-critique ... The lack of detail in the feathers near the center of the back (scapulars I think ...) and the lack of d-o-f in the tail bug me too :(. If it were mine I would lose the single upward pointing twig near the right frame-edge.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Jon, excellent work, i like the perch and the over the shoulder look. Wonderful details generally the top half but then the body feathers lose detail. Lovely bottom white eye ring. Yes more d-o-f for tat tail. However, DPP and 6400 ISO works well for your processing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome perch and look back. I agree a bit more DOF but you were quite close. Details and IQ look very nice at the high ISO + bigger crop. Great BG as well. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice frame. Like the pose and the perch. Background is excellent. I can see why they call it a black cap.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, cracking little capture, love the detail around the eye.

A suggestion to try, go to f/11 and put the FP on the back of the subject where the 'detail' begins to lose focus and drop the SS so you are not pushing the ISO so much with the 5D4. Yes I've seen some cracking images at ISO 10k, but I'm still a little hesitant on pushing the body unlike the 1DX MK2.

TFS
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments everyone. Steve I agree regarding ISO the 5D4 doesn't come close to the 1DX 1 or II in terms of high speed performance or noise control.... but the files are so much bigger and is fine for moderately high ISO.. Focusing on the back is certainly an option and is indeed something is always consider but this little chap is so flighty, I had to first of all get the eye then consider elsewhere by which time of course the moment was lost. He is now a regular so hopefully there will be more opportunities, oh, yes, and I am still trying to get a decent shot of the brambling.