Thread: For Krishna, and the rest who never knew Bosque with birds. Part II of many ...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default For Krishna, and the rest who never knew Bosque with birds. Part II of many ...

Attached Images Attached Images

From years ago when Phil Norton was managing the place for birds, for the visitors, and for photographers as well. And birds there were, by the tens of thousands. Compare that with today ...

1/13 sec. at 180mm with the 5D III and the 70-200mm f/2.8. Canon of course :)

Don't be shy; all comments are welcome.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

2. Thanks Kamal Hari Menon thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Wowee Artie, lovely pleasing blur landscape with snow for the icing! You are correct, the flocks have thinned and there is a noticeable difference. I'm glad my first visit six years ago made such a lasting impression, whereby i can say i remember when... It had been a couple of years since my last visit and this time, it was very noticeable. One of my fond memories was when either snow geese filled the blue of the sky and the noise was delightfully deafening for minutes on end... Or another gem was when I was able to shoot flight shots for a non stop 80 minutes, cranes filled the sky and they just kept dropping in. I am certain you have a plethora of Bosque memories and so very happy there is your quality avian documentation. When did you first arrive in Bosque and offer your workshops?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Talking about a work of art. This is a superb interpretation. It seems to balance busy and peaceful for me. Excellent blur. Color graduations are wonderful. Well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Peter and Ann, I loved this one from the get-go and entered it in several contests without success :)

Ann, I started visiting Bosque (with film) in early December, 1994 (just ten days after the death of my second wife Elaine). I did have a small group or two that year. Very small. On that first visit I made Blizzard in Blue right off the bat and that was followed in a few days by Fire in the Mist. Both were honored in different BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year Competitions. The former was runner-up in Composition and Form and got me a plane ticket to London. The latter was honored a few years later and wound up on the cover of Light on the Earth, a celebration of 30 years of the best of the BBC contests. Folks can click on the link to order a signed copy :)

Phil Norton was gone more than six years ago but the positive benefits of his skills and leadership hung on for a few years. I know that there are still some good opportunities and maybe I will return one year. But to drive around and not see a single blast-off leaves me wanting :)

I should have mentioned that for about eight years after my first visit I filled three or four groups of 16-18 folks each year (with a co-leader or two of course).

I will post the aforementioned images in the next two panes.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Blizzard in Blue. Canon 400mm f/5.6L with the A2 body. Fuji Velvia pushed one stop: 1/15 sec. at f/5.6. This was my first successful pleasing blur :)

a

7. Thanks Kamal Hari Menon thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Though highly honored, I considered Fire in the Mist a failure. Why? After changing film three times I did the same thing a fourth time. With the new roll of film in my hand the entire flock blasted off as the color and light peaked ... You gotta love digital. Canon 600 f/4L with the 1N body. Fuji Velvia pushed one stop to ISO 100: 1/320 sec. at f/5.6.

You can see these two images and about 200 more in the soft cover The Art of Bird Photography. As I thumbed through it looking for the EXIF for these two images I was reminded that the book -- though it contains only film images --is still a valuable and inspirational text and resource, especially with regards to Exposure Theory, and in addition, is a sort of history of modern day bird photography with film. Folks can purchase a copy here. Be sure to request a signature.

a

9. Thanks Kamal Hari Menon thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image Artie. Thanks for sharing the information.

11. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The three images are all visually beautiful Artie. I love these out of the box images. They are really what bird photography is about for me. Capturing a beautiful image of a bird and its surroundings and these images do that extremely well.

13. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

These are all so beautiful. Great settings environments and they give a great feel. TFS them,

15. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Now i understand why you say it is not the same. All these are great. I like the first one the best out of all of these. You can see really see the wing strokes in that one and the mountains and snow top it off.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Congratulations Artie, all three are Bosque Icons and you are an avian photography pioneer at the refuge. Thats a stack of years and quite a flock of workshop students; what an opportunity! Pretty amazing "blizzard in blue" then "fire in a mist" only several days apart and both BBC wildlife photography winners and then some! Wish you would publish a Bosque book...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by annmpacheco View Post
    Congratulations Artie, all three are Bosque Icons and you are an avian photography pioneer at the refuge. Thats a stack of years and quite a flock of workshop students; what an opportunity! Pretty amazing "blizzard in blue" then "fire in a mist" only several days apart and both BBC wildlife photography winners and then some! Wish you would publish a Bosque book...
    Thanks ann. My late wife Elaine was pulling the strings for those two :) You are right, I should do a digital Bosque Art Book :)

with love, artie

ps: too bad that the refuge management thought that I was a criminal. See also my additional comments in the Comments section of the A Little Bosque History ... blog post here.

pps: I just learned that they have permanently closed Harry's Crane Pool to create more "non-wetland" habitat!
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 12-16-2018 at 08:21 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

All beautiful Artie. I still like the look through, and read, The Art of Bird Photography. As you say, lots of it applies as much today.

20. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow!What a shot Artie!! Standing ovation.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Debapratim Saha View Post
    Wow!What a shot Artie!! Standing ovation.
    Thanks Deba. Which one?

with love, artie

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

First and the third.....life time images
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Thanks Deba. Which one?

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Debapratim Saha View Post
    First and the third.....life time images
    Thanks Deba. I am glad that you liked those. The second one does not suck either :)

with love, arite

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Amazing images Artie.. I love all of them.. TFS

26. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Killer images, Artie! Love those out of the box images you have made there.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marina Scarr View Post
    Killer images, Artie! Love those out of the box images you have made there.
    Thanks Marina, Folks keep saying, "Bosque is great again" but I am not seeing anything like the stuff I used to make :) None-the-less, I will likely return next year to see for myself :)

with love, artie