Thread: Target Acquired

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Target Acquired

Attached Images Attached Images

I'm patiently waiting for some brutally cold weather this winter. This image was taken last January at Lock and Dam 24, Clarksville, MO. We had
    a nice stretch cold at that time. Normal to moderate winters aren't cold enough to drive significant numbers of Bald Eagles south to mid-Missouri.
    Last year was an exception and there was probably 100+ eagles at Lock 24 for a month or so. I still practice dentistry 4 days a week so finding a
    clear day.....and a day where the Army Corps of Engineers has the gates closest to the Missouri side open(where the eagles prefer to fish) is
    kind of a crap shoot. When attempting BIF I set AF to Group on my D500. Matrix metering, although for my shooting mode I don't know that it
    makes much difference. I set shutter speed and aperture then chimp on the iso until I see a just few blinkies and leave it at that. I find that the
    raw file usually is not completely burned out in these areas on the D500. Pretty much just cropped from horizontal to 8x10 vertical, altering the
    aspect ratio would probably be within my range of Photoshop expertise... I did repair one ratty looking feather.

D500/500mmF4VRII/TC-14EIII

1/3200s, f7.1, iso 640

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice dorsal view of this bald eagle. The blue sky is nice. Also like the pose and composition.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quite the excellent pose. The lighting is dramatic. The BLACKs might be a bit too black for me. All in all, spectacular.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful angle. The upper wings and tail look captivating. Great focus.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice top side view and good details. I would add a bit of warmth to the image. I would also reduce the cyan in the sky. Also it looks like the bird has already passed you by and this would have been better a few frames earlier when maybe the bird was facing us more.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Attempted adjustments as recommended. Hopefully this looks better. I deleted all the other images in this sequence but I suspect the wings weren't fully open.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The repost is better but the BLUEs are still way intense ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.