Thread: sand mining

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default sand mining

Attached Images Attached Images

Sanderling hunting for invertebrates on Moss Landing State Beach in April this year.
    1/4000, f10, ISO1600, 800mm.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat behavioral image with lots of problems ... Though you did well with the light 90 degrees from your left, the bird's head is rotated a bit away from us and the dark stuff, especially the band by the head, are quite distracting. EXP looks fine.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the behavior shown and the particles of sand being thrown about by the probing bill.
    Not crazy about the harsh light and the light angle. It did not allow you to get a catchlight in the eye so the eye appears quite dead.
    I would crop up from the bottom to your name to minimize the OOF foreground,
    Gail

4. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the side light here. Show some nice depth and texture. The flying sand is pretty neat.

6. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Greg, excellent low perspective, and I like the behaviour with the flying sand. Most things mentioned above, and before reading Gail's comment, I feel the biggest distraction is too much OOF FG. Coming up at least halfway from the bottom will help a lot.

8. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all for the comments. I went back and looked at the crop, and agree it can be improved. I have a bit more above, so just moving the bird down and getting more of the smooth upper background seems to work well. I know most on this forum are not into this type of behavioral shot, but I really like to capture such action, which you can't see with the naked eye, but is revealed in the shot. So I have front of mind to try and get good light and background, but have to follow the action where it goes. But ultimately it is more of a nature shot than an artistic shot of the bird.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greg cowle View Post
    Thanks all for the comments. I know most on this forum are not into this type of behavioral shot, but I really like to capture such action, which you can't see with the naked eye, but is revealed in the shot. So I have front of mind to try and get good light and background, but have to follow the action where it goes. But ultimately it is more of a nature shot than an artistic shot of the bird.
    YAW. Most everyone here is very much "into" behavioral images. And you are free to follow and photograph the action wherever it goes. But behavioral shots, (just like blurs), need to have all the qualities of fabulous static portraits: lighting and light angle that results in a evenly lit, well-lit subject, , a pleasing background, a nice subject-to-film plane orientation, and a good head angle. The image in Pane #1 is lacking in part or whole with most of the requirements for a pleasing, quality image. That is what we are about :) That and striving to help everyone improve.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.