Thread: Sambar deer

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sambar deer

Attached Images Attached Images

I have been MIA due to family trip and some work priorities.

I dont have many images for this month's theme. So pleased to share this image which was taken while hiking at Horton plains, Sri Lanka. Most of these sambal deers were quite skittish, running away the moment you stop the vehicle. But this guy seemed to be bolder allowing me to get really close.

Nikon D850 Nikon 24-120 mm @24 mm. f/8, 1/800, ISO 500. C&C welcome.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this very much, Jay. Well composed and exposed and image quality is great. Love the colours and tonality, great choice of DoF.

Beautiful detail on the sambal deer, interesting pose too. Err... looks like he is trying to tell you something

This works for me as presented, cannot think of anything I would change. Looks very sharp on my monitor.

Wonderful Theme image, I truly enjoyed viewing.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image, just looking at the background that could be dear old England! The very sharp details in the coat struck me too, is it perhaps a little crunchy???

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Lovely image, just looking at the background that could be dear old England! The very sharp details in the coat struck me too, is it perhaps a little crunchy???
    Hello John,

Re. crunchiness, I think the Sambar deer may be a tad over sharpened. Antlers look good to me.

Love your comments above about " old England"

Kind regards,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 12-15-2018 at 01:02 AM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay, like Jon, the environment could be in the UK, as the Sambar looks a bit out of context with the backdrop.

If you had got this close having something like a 16-35 would have been great ie like Wills reindeer perspective. The Sambar does look very sharp and the light very even, no darks, shadows which I find a little odd? I also feel it appears a bit 'yellow' did you apply any Vibrance, in addition, the yellow grass tail high looks blurred compared to other areas?????

I'll post a sambar from India too at some point.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. Like the whole overall scene. Nice pose and the environment the deer is in is very pleasing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello everyone, many thanks for your C&C. This place is really pretty and it is often described as terrain like Northern England or Scotland. It also is on UNESCO world heritage list. It was a nice walking trail at 2200 meters elevation. One thing I did not like was US$22 entrance fee. I thought that was rip off. I got Sambar deer image right at the end, which was a high point of the visit.

As you can see, it was a very cloudy day so light was pretty even. The IQ is high (D850) and was quite sharp, but I might have over done a bit in web sharpener while reducing the file size. Steve, I did 'sprinkle' a bit of vibrance at the end of PP -- you really have sharp eyes !!
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 12-15-2018 at 02:39 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not the landscape I would picture in my mind for Sri Lanka, really adds interest to the wide-angle view of the deer.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jay, do you mean SambaR deer, rather than Sambal Deer, if so I can correct it?

I might have over done a bit in web sharpener while reducing the file size.
    Definitely Jay, at this stage it's called 'perceptual' sharpening, so yes reduce the amount.

Just tweaking the WB and yellow (Via or Saturation) does help, I also added a small layer adjustment to the deer, and tried to reduce the sharpening. Dropping the FG exposure also helps. I'm away again so on the laptop, but hope the attached may help.

Cheers
    Steve

10. Thanks Jay Shah thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, yes, it should be Sambar. I could be hungry at the time, so freudian slip! Yes I do like your edits - looks more natural. Cheers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jay and Steve,

I changed "sambal" to "sambar" in the title

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very unique looking deer, and captured beautifully, Jay. Aside from the os I love the expressing on the deers face, and the overall richness in the op.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cool perspective here. Nice pose. Whole shot has a yellow cast and looks a touch over saturated to me. I much prefer the original to the repost. As your original is presented I would reduce the yellows by about -15, the greens by -5 and I would increase the exposure by about half a stop. I would also add a couple of points of black to the neutrals in selective color. I agree that the fur seems a touch over sharpened.