Thread: Ranthambore Tigress

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ranthambore Tigress

Attached Images Attached Images

In the meantime we are waiting for the Ranthambore images .
    Haseeb, you had a Grey Langur and now a Tiger, I hope this may ease your thirst.

This is a 2.5 year old female cub, still to be allocated her unique 'T' reference number and so she is nameless at present.

As the reserve emptied for the morning, we quietly drove round the areas where she had been seen as we had 'All day access'. We found her in a dried up river bed, partly hidden from view waiting for a Sambar deer to pass by, an excellent spot for an ambush as the stone gravel and dead would would have proved an obstacle for the fleeing deer. As time went by, both of us waiting, she slowly began to move and came back onto our side, walking along the track. We shadowed her for some time, whilst she stopped, scent marked and eventually lay down in a shady spot allowing us prime viewing. After filling our boots with images she caught sight of some domestic buffalo and went into stalk mode. Tigress on the hunt with only two vehicles, I couldn't believe it. Parking again in 'prime' spot (nice one Boss - our driver) we waited, sadly her inexperience let her down and the herd chased her back into the thick bush.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Tiger (Panthera tigris)
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 500f/4 MKI! plus 1.4 ext MKIII
    Exposure: 1/1250s at f/5.6 ISO1250
    Original format: Portrait, width FF, slight crop at foot
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 12-12-2018 at 06:51 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- I just loved the framing here , so tight , yet so masterfully done. Terrific details and colours have come out exceedingly well. That BKG is exceptional. A really nice frame to get inspired on the field.
    Would have liked to get those ears fully in the frame but still i find them smoothly fading away as being nicely done.

Well , i guess , the thirst has doubled up after seeing this Tiger image from your trip.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I just loved the framing here , so tight
    In this instance yes, although a 600mm would have been ideal, could have shot this with the 200-400 and cropped a fraction, but liked the real tight aspect, irrespective of the ear, or I could have gone up a fraction in the framing. Overall the images were shot with the 100-400 for wider, then the 200-400 & the 500 with the 1.4. I did have to shoot past some vegetation requiring at times to 'hang' out of the vehicle, so not all plain sailing to shoot this young cub. Perhaps a fraction more DoF for the ear elements, but I'm OK as it turned out, just gave the BKG a bit more oomph.

I also took the 5D4 as a late back up, early Xmas present, but had to adjust the AFMA, so reverted back to the 1DX mk2's here, although I think the 5D4 has nailed a Wooly legged Stork very nicely, but will have to see later. The new EOS R is good and needs a few Firmware updates, but way to complicated for me to set up correctly, let alone to think about 'in the field' too many options at you disposal and if you don't like PP, then the JPEG's are hard to beat in terms of minimal PP and IQ. However, if you want a silent camera this is the one.

cheers
    Steve

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Steve,

She is so pretty!!! Love the tight crop, brings viewers closer to the subject and allows us to see every detail.

Head angle is perfect, wonderful rich colours (it's unreal, how beautiful tigers are), background is superb. Would love to see this printed big on my study wall

I also enjoyed reading the story behind the image, much appreciated. Cannot wait to see more!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the head wonderful colours and details, beautiful quality............................but really disappointed you didn't get the ear in, it spoils it for me completely, it just jars on me I am afraid. I would also have liked a little more DOF.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I also enjoyed reading the story behind the image, much appreciated. Cannot wait to see more!
    Heading north tomorrow, so zero time, but will see what I can do Gabriela.

but really disappointed you didn't get the ear in, it spoils it for me completely, it just jars on me I am afraid. I would also have liked a little more DOF.
    No excuses Jon, but photographing in Africa is a real breeze compared to these locations, as Haseeb & Sanjeev know, it's tough, both with light and vegetation and you rarely get this amount of time with any Tiger, you should think about it.

7. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very tight. The pattern below the eye in the fur is very neat. Wish for a slight head turn to see more of the eye. The background color matches the color of the tiger.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, as ever, nothing needs to be said about IQ or PP. It is always superb. But what I like is how creatively you 'break the rules'. I do agree with you that with vegetation and light, tough conditions for shooting in India. Like Gabriela said, waiting for more.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great color and background. I'd prefer more space, but I would probably attempt the same if loaded with a prime and she was that close.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve,ranthambore is this myhtical place to me ancient ruins and tigers !! I'm known of it since childhood,it's fascinating reading your words about this site,so I personally really appreciate your back stories!

I like the image also want that ear tip in frame, stunning detail and processing as per usual . I also love the complimentary colour pallette of the bkg.

TFS

stu

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve = She is beautiful and the colors look great. i am a fan of tight portraits but agree about the tip of the ears. I also might have good for just a little more dof. Looking forward to seeing more from your trip. Andy posted some great images on Instagram.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

i am a fan of tight portraits but agree about the tip of the ears. I also might have good for just a little more dof.
    I can live with both the ear and DoF I thin Rachel, the eye and nose are key for me, the slightly OOF ear I personally feel is OK, but also yes, if in focus it may have added, but when folk say a bit more DoF what do they mean, how much would you need to go????

Andy posted some great images on
    Indeed, we discussed this trip about this time last year and as we hadn't shot together for some time it was a great opportunity not to let go. The four of us had an awesome time, swopping each day, but sadly he had left when I had this encounter as Alison & I stayed a couple of extra days.

Instagram, are you on it, I thought you shred away from Social media?